Request for Proposals
Retail Markets Research and Analysis Study
Seneca Nation of Indians Community Planning and Development Department
Submittal Deadline: 11/30/2013
The Seneca Nation of Indians Community Planning and Development Department is soliciting a consulting firm to conduct Market Research and Analysis for three potential commercial zones located within the Nation's sovereign Cattaraugus Territory.
Any questions and communication regarding this request for proposals should be submitted via e-mail or in writing to:
Wayne A. Awald
Seneca Nation of Indians,Small Business Incubator Program
Community Planning and Development Department
12837 Route 438
The selected firm is expected to have qualified personnel for and prior experience in the following disciplines:
• Consumer Market Analysis for Goods,Services,Professional Services,Recreation/Tourism Sectors
• Population,Demographic and Psychographic Market Analysis utilizing Claritas-Nielson or comparable data
• Maplnfo or comparable Market Areas Travel-Time Data,Mapping and Analysis
• Projected Sales Analysis for Identified Potential Growth Sectors in Commercial Focus Areas
• Economic Redevelopment and Restructuring
• Knowledge of Seneca Nation of Indians Sovereignty and Taxation/Treaty Issues
The Seneca Nation consists of five sovereign territories in Western New York (see Figure 1) with a population of just more than 8,000 enrolled members. The Seneca Nation's economy has grown significantly in the past couple of decades into a successful engine for economic growth in the region, generating jobs and development opportunities far beyond the borders of our native lands. A combination of Nation-owned gaming enterprises, private sector business,and new diversification by Seneca entrepreneurs and Nation initiatives have combined to generate more than $1billion in annual economic impact in Western New York, and have made the Nation of the region's largest employers.
The Nation has invested $180 million in capital improvement projects over the last few years, building infrastructure, government facilities,and amenities such as community centers to improve the quality of life for its people.
In SNI President Barry Snyder's 2013 State of the Nation Address, he outlined a strategy to initiate and guide diversification of the Nation's economy. The strategy included: encouragement of business entrepreneurship through business education, the creation of a business incubator program facility and ongoing business one-on one counseling for Seneca businesses to start, grow and thrive.
Entrepreneurial sentiment on Seneca Nation Territories is on the rise with personal incomes. Individuals wanting to capitalize on this trend are looking to invest this income in funding their own businesses. Entrepreneurs and established businesses desiring to diversify are in need of business planning assistance including market analysis for their proposed goods and services. The to-be-completed market analysis will be made freely available for their use in deciding what business sector(s) they may want to pursue. The analysis will strategically identify both market void and saturation for potential businesses on three identified general locations on the Cattaraugus Territory. Using Claritas-Nielson data, North American Industrial Classification System (NAICS) codes and market area population, demographic, psychographic data, a present and future consumer base market profile and sales projections will be identified for 10-20-30-60 minute drive times to the three landmark locations below and on attached map.
1. Intersections of Routes 5 and Route 20,Irving, NY (eastern boundary of Cattaraugus Territory)
2. William Seneca Building,12837 Route 438, Irving, NY
3. Intersection Route 438 and Taylor Hollow Road, Gowanda, NY
Scope of Work
The selected consultant will complete the required analysis with recommendations within 1month. There are three anticipated phases of work:
1. Review of Existing Market Area(s) Conditions and Existing Business Inventories
2. Market Data Collection and Analysis
3. Market and Sales Analysis Report
The consultant will review and assess existing market conditions within the study areas including: The Market Area(s):
• Existing Business Inventory
• Demographic Analysis
• Psychographic Analysis
• Current Population and Trends
• Data Sets Combination Analysis
The product will be one of individual data sets analysis and a final data set combination analysis with NAICS coded market sector voids and saturation site specifically identified within specified Claritas/Nielson drive-time deduced market areas.
Additionally, analysis shall be bifurcated to scenarios of both standard taxation and tax free sales.
Analysis shall utilize the following sets of National American Industrial Classification System (NAICS) Codes
• 441110 through 454390 — Retail Trade
• 7011through 89999905 — Arts, Entertainment, Recreation
• 236115 through 238990 — Construction
• 811111through 812990 — Other Personal Services
Project Deliverables: The final report shall include the following for each geographic focus area:
• Illustrative mapping denoting existing inventoried business locations,market areas,drive-times,etc.;
• Graphics and tables demonstrating population,demographic and psychographic trends;
• Report findings,rationale,data references,market sector voids,sector saturation, and sales projections.