City of Pasadena
|Job at a Glance|
|Job Level||Mid II (4-8 years)|
|Salary Range||$86,710.21 - $108,387.76 annual|
The City of Pasadena is looking for an experienced, solution-oriented Senior Planner to join the Planning and Community Development Department. The annual salary range for this position is $86,710.21 - $108,387.76 with an excellent benefits package. The ideal candidate is an effective problem-solver who combines technical expertise with excellent leadership and communication skills. Come help build our team of professionals!
Pasadena is nestled at the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and approximately 10 miles northeast of Los Angeles. It is renowned as a “World Class City” and is an ethnically and culturally rich city with a significantly diverse population. The city welcomes visitors, businesses, and residents.
The unique size of this community makes Pasadena a warm and inviting urban setting without the worries and hassles of a big city. Visitors, as well as those who live and work in Pasadena, enjoy easy walking or driving distances. In addition to the Tournament of Roses Parade® and events at the Rose Bowl, Pasadena is host to world class museums, entertainment and sports venues, recreation facilities, outdoor opportunities and much, much more.
The following list represents some of the essential functions of the position, depending on assignment. For more detailed information, and to apply, please visit our website at www.cityofpasadena.net/HumanResources/. Application deadline is September 12, 2013.
• Organizes, reviews and participates in completing urban planning assignments; personally performs the most complex and sensitive planning work in advanced planning, current planning, design and historic preservation, zoning, or urban conservation.
• Performs research and analysis of the most difficult planning problems; lays the ground work in developing and implementing new programs; coordinates the development a of major unit of planning activity with other governmental agencies and public groups requiring a high level of public contact.
• Plans and conducts public informational meetings on planning matters; researches, writes, and presents general plan elements; represents the Planning division at public meetings, and in matters before the various elected and appointed bodies.
• Prepares and/or supervises the preparation of environmental impact analysis on General Plan Elements, Zoning, and other code revisions, specific plans, zone changes and legislative actions or land use entitlement requiring discretionary approval.
• Advises and assists public and management officials with respect to community planning issues and problems, pending cases, and the application of established City policies and ordinances. May conduct counter reviews; coordinates planning and development activities with other City departments and with outside entities.
• Superb written and oral communication skills
• Ability to establish and maintain relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts
• Analytical skills and critical thinking skills to provide reasoned and creative solutions to complex problems
• High degree of dependability and accountability
• Solution-oriented and customer-focused
• Demonstrated leadership ability to manage a group of professional and administrative staff
Education and Experience
Any combination of education and/or experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary for acceptable job performance would qualify. For example:
• Bachelor's degree in planning, architecture, geography, public administration, or a closely related field; and
• Four years professional journey level planning experience including:
• One year of experience in organizing, assigning, and controlling the work of project teams.
Willingness to work overtime during nights and weekends is required.
All applications will be screened upon receipt, and only candidates who meet minimum job qualifications and who are the most highly competitive may be invited to a written, oral and/or performance examination. Oral panel interviews are scheduled for Thursday, October 3.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 9/12/13