Associate Planner / Planner
City of Pasadena
|Job at a Glance|
|Job Level||Mid I (1-4 years)|
|Salary Range||$ 69,983.06- $94,495.02 Annual|
The City of Pasadena is looking for an experienced, solution-oriented Associate Planner and/or Planner to join the Planning and Community Development Department. The annual salary range for these positions is $ 69,983.06- $94,495.02 with an excellent benefits package. The ideal candidate is an effective problem-solver who combines technical expertise with excellent communication skills. Come join our team of professionals!
Pasadena is nestled at the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and approximately 10 miles northeast of Los Angeles. It is renowned as a “World Class City” and is an ethnically and culturally rich city with a significantly diverse population. The city welcomes visitors, businesses, and residents.
The unique size of this community makes Pasadena a warm and inviting urban setting without the worries and hassles of a big city. Visitors, as well as those who live and work in Pasadena, enjoy easy walking or driving distances. In addition to the Tournament of Roses Parade® and events at the Rose Bowl, Pasadena is host to world class museums, entertainment and sports venues, recreation facilities, outdoor opportunities and much, much more.
The following represents some of the essential functions of the position, depending on assignment. For more detailed information, and to apply, please visit our website at www.cityofpasadena.net/HumanResources/. Application deadline is September 12, 2013. Must apply to each position separately.
• Conducts a variety of assignments involving current or long range planning projects; confers with applicants and agency representatives to identify problems; evaluates data and proposes methods to resolve conflicting issues of plan implementation, zoning requirements, and environmental impact.
• Researches, collects and analyzes data; prepares reports and presents recommendations on land use, zoning, design, historic preservation, population, housing, social, economic and other related factors.
• Evaluates current development projects by detailed review of plans for architectural, zoning and general plan requirements; performs field surveys to identify problems and upon completion of projects to ensure conformance with applicable requirements; discusses recommendations with builders, developers, architects, and real estate professionals.
• Confers with and advises architects, engineers, attorneys, developers, and the general public regarding City development procedures and processes.
• Responds to inquiries, both orally and in writing; applies planning policies, state laws and local ordinances, or explains procedures; provides assistance to the Planning Commission, City Council, and other committees and commissions; makes presentations to the City Council, City Commissions, committees, residents and neighborhood groups.
• Superb written and oral communication skills
• Ability to establish and maintain relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts
• Analytical skills and critical thinking skills to provide reasoned and creative solutions to complex problems
• High degree of dependability and accountability
• Solution-oriented and customer-focused
Education and Experience
Any combination of education and/or experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary for acceptable job performance would qualify. For example:
• Bachelor's degree in planning, architecture, geography, public administration, or a closely related field and;
• Planner: Two years of experience equivalent to that of an Associate Planner with the City of Pasadena.
• Associate Planner: Two years of experience equivalent to that of an Assistant Planner with the City of Pasadena
All applications will be screened upon receipt, and only candidates who meet minimum job qualifications and who are the most highly competitive may be invited to a written, oral and/or performance examination. Oral panel interviews are scheduled for Thursday, October 3.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 9/12/13