Fairbanks North Star Borough
|Job at a Glance|
|Job Category||Other topics not covered above|
|Job Level||Mid II (4-8 years)|
|AICP Certification||Not Required|
POSITION TITLE: Planner II
SALARY: 11A $25.65/hr
STATUS: Regular Full Time 1.0 FTE FLSA: non-exempt
Implement the comprehensive plan by administering the Zoning Code and other land use ordinances.
1. Provide the public with technical interpretations of Borough zoning, land use, and other plans flood zone, subdivision and related codes.
2. Perform field inspections, investigations and technical review of land use and development requests.
3. Gather and analyze data, prepare staff reports and formulate department recommendations regarding land use and development requests; including oral presentations at Planning Commission, Borough Assembly public hearings.
4. Interpret ordinances, prepare position paper and department recommendations regarding ordinance revisions.
5. Review platting requests for conformance with Zoning and Flood Plain ordinances.
6. Review and authorize zoning permits, flood plain permits and other related permits, and provide base flood elevations and certificates to determine compliance with the Zoning, Subdivision, and other ordinances.
7. Maintain databases on zoning, flood plain permits, etc.
8. Assist with the creation of a permit tracking system for the department.
1. Bachelor's degree from an accredited college in planning or closely related field and one year of professional experience in land use planning and enforcement. Five years progressively responsible experience in land use planning may be substituted for the Bachelor's degree and professional requirement. A graduate degree in planning or closely-related field of study may be substituted for the professional experience requirement.
2. Knowledge of land use planning theory, practice, process, ordinances and their applications.
3. Ability to independently administer zoning and subdivision ordinances and prepare recommendations on a variety of issues.
4. Ability to conduct investigative research and deal with the public and co-workers in a tactful and courteous manner under adverse and stressful conditions.
5. Demonstrated ability to prepare accurate and concise reports and to present data in an effective manner, both orally and in writing.
6. Demonstrated ability to operate a personal computer to include word processing and database.
7. Must have and be able to maintain a valid driver’s license. Must meet insurance standards and maintain insurability under the Borough's insurance program. If personal automobile is used for Borough business, proof of automobile insurance at statutory limits must be provided. (A CURRENT COPY OF DRIVING RECORD WILL BE REQUIRED AT TIME OF INTERVIEW)
8. Ability to perform analysis and produce project maps using GIS software, preferably ESRI ArcView or ArcGIS, preferred.
9. A writing sample will be required at time of interview.
10. This position requires a criminal background check.
Continuous contact with employees at all levels of the Borough; continuous routine public contact and frequent contact involving outside organizations/agencies.
Does not supervise; experiences minor problems daily and occasional major ones that must be resolved on own initiative with little immediate supervision; the consequences of error, carelessness or mistaken judgment require significant effort to recover.
Submit a completed online application on or before the closing date and time as specified in the Job Posting. On line applications can be located at www.applitrack.com/fnsb/onlineapp
For additional information please call (907) 459-1202.
The Borough complies with the Americans with Disability Act (ADA). If you need an accommodation to participate in the interview/selection process please be sure to complete this section of the online application.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
|Contact Name||Bonne Woldstad|