City of Aztec
|Job at a Glance|
|Job Category||Land-Use Management and Code Enforcement|
|Job Level||Entry (0–1 year)|
|AICP Certification||Not Required|
This is paraprofessional technical and administrative work in the development, collection and dissemination of technical information pertaining to land use and development regulations and comprehensive planning. The position is best described as 50% technical land use administration, 25% clerical work and 25% customer service. Primary duties include reviewing and processing various types of land use and development applications and permits to ensure conformance with the zoning ordinance requirements; reviewing site plans and subdivision plats; completing assessments of floodplain risk; assisting with zoning inspections and investigations; creating and maintaining land use date in GIS and compiling analytical reports from GIS data; monitoring and activating the E911 Addressing System for the City of Aztec; and providing exceptional customer service.
This position is responsible for maintaining the daily functions of the Community Development Department, to include preparation of meeting agendas and minutes, public notices and informational brochures, expense tracking, supply ordering, meeting and travel scheduling, contact, records and document maintenance, coordination of website maintenance, and general administrative tasks. This position is also responsible for maintaining the City of Aztec Street Name Index which is the official list of names for streets and roads in the City of Aztec addressing jurisdiction. Performs related planning and administrative duties as required.
Work is performed independently within established policies, procedures and work programs. Work may be reviewed by the Community Development Director, in progress and on completion, for conformity with standards, quality, and accuracy of work performed.
• Answer questions and provide technical information to the public and staff; research information; interpret data and explain requirements, regulations, and procedures; respond to inquiries pertaining to municipal code, zoning, land use regulations, comprehensive planning, application procedures and Community Development programs, events and current projects.
• Read and interpret plats, site plans, building elevations, maps, land use regulations etc., while assisting the Community Development Director and/or responding to general inquiries.
• Prepare maps, charts, correspondence, agendas, reports, and other materials as needed. Prepare narrative staff reports and recommendations of moderate complexity for review by the Community Development Director.
• Evaluate a variety of applications and proposals for completeness and adherence with land use and floodplain regulations; maintain appropriate logs of planning applications processed.
• Review requests for new street names and address additions/changes and complete changes to the 911 addressing system as required; maintain address records for all properties within Aztec and notify public agencies of address updates.
• Coordinate with emergency service personnel to assist the public in complying with addressing requirements.
• Review addressing regulations in Municipal Code on an annual basis to ensure compliance with the 911 addressing system and make revisions as required.
• Review Business License Applications for adherence with land use regulations and distribute new business information packets.
• Provide required information for specific meetings; prepare and review meeting minutes. Set up rooms up for Community Development Department meetings; and perform other related tasks as required.
• Perform routine office tasks in designated program areas, including issuance of public notices, data entry, file management, scanning, copying, and answering telephones. Operate office equipment.
• Maintain planning, statistical, photographic, floodplain and historical records and update land use data in GIS.
• Participate in a variety of special projects as assigned, to include event planning and operating booths at community events.
• Interact with the public, elected officials, and internal and external contacts in a tactful, clear, concise and appropriate manner.
• Attend Commission meetings and Public Forums.
• Work in collaboration with the Code Compliance and Information Officer to ensure all approved Community Development permits (sign, variance, etc,) are reviewed for final completion and are appropriately closed in the Community Development record, per the established records retention schedule.
A full job description and position requirements are available on the City's website at http://www.aztecnm.gov/employment/opportunities.htm. Applicants are required to complete an assessment test and submit a City of Aztec Application, Resume, Cover Letter, Three Professional References and College Transcripts as part of their application.
|Contact Name||Karla Sayler|
|Postal Address||201 W. Chaco St.
Aztec, NM 87410