City of Albuquerque Planning Department
|Job at a Glance|
|Job Category||Urban Design|
|Job Level||Executive (10+ years)|
|Salary Range||$2,224.80 - $3,584.80 Biweekly|
City of Albuquerque Planning Department
Urban Design & Development Division
Current Planning Section Manager
The Current Planning Section Manager will report to the Urban Design & Development Division Manager and directly manage the development review functions of the Planning Department. This position requires coordination with the Long Range Planning and Metropolitan Redevelopment Sections of the Division to maximize staff resources and minimize necessary review time for development submittals.
The Current Planning Section Manager provides leadership in complex and high profile projects as well as ongoing processes involving multiple work groups, other city departments and external partners and customers. This position provides key staff support to the Environmental Planning Commission (EPC), which has duties, responsibilities, and powers delegated to it by the City Council. The Current Planning Manager is the Director’s designee for many administrative review and approval functions.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
• Provide highly complex planning support as project manager on assigned development projects; participate in selection/management of professional consultants; provide planning input on proposed projects; serve as liaison to ensure compliance with city planning guidelines.
• Manage and participate in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies and priorities for assigned programs; recommend and administer policies and procedures.
• Monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; recommend, within departmental policy, appropriate service and staffing levels.
• Plan, direct, coordinate and review the work plan for planning staff; assign work activities, projects and programs; review and evaluate work products, methods and procedures; meet with staff to identify and resolve problems.
• Assume management responsibility for assigned services and activities of the section including urban, regional, land use, transportation, strategic and policy planning, and current term planning functions.
• Develop and propose planning ordinance and policy in assigned area for the City of Albuquerque; prepare proposed legislation and implementing ordinances.
• Select, train, motivate and evaluate planning personnel; provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies; implement discipline and termination procedures.
• Serve as the liaison for the section with other City departments, divisions and outside agencies; negotiate and resolve sensitive and controversial issues.
• Serve as staff on a variety of boards, commissions and committees; prepare and present staff reports and other necessary correspondence.
• Provide responsible staff assistance to the Department Director.
• Conduct a variety of organizational studies, investigations, and operational studies; recommend modifications to planning programs, policies and procedures as appropriate.
• Nurtures the relationships with the community, neighborhood groups, development community and local business community as well as other jurisdictions in the greater Albuquerque Metro Area.
• Works regularly with active neighborhood organizations and other interest groups, and supports facilitation of an involved, democratic process of government. Resolution of competing interests requires strong mediation, facilitation and decision-making skills.
• Provides excellent customer service. Supports and reinforces open-minded and solution-oriented staff response to customer needs. Looks at issues and problems from the customer’s point of view and finds ways to address these issues and concerns while balancing the needs of the city and ensuring consistency with adopted policies.
• Demonstrates business savvy and political understanding and sensitivity.
• Keeps abreast of trends and current thinking in the fields of planning and sustainability, public administration, project management, leadership and employee management, and uses all forms of data and information to analyze and present viable choices and alternatives.
The Ideal Candidate will have:
• Experience with an active, highly engaged community.
• A combination of both private sector and government work experience.
• The ability to set a positive example of competence, professionalism, energy and work ethic to the organization and community.
• The capacity and interest to be an effective mentor and leader for staff.
• Strong interpersonal skills, effective communication skills and a commitment to excellence.
• The ability to adhere to the highest ethical and moral standards and be able to display transparency.
Interested candidates should possess a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Planning, Business Administration, Public Administration, or related field, PLUS eight (7) years of professional managerial experience in public/private sector management to include four (4) years of direct supervisory experience in a management or administrative capacity. A combination of education and experience may be interchangeable on a year for year basis.