Director of Planning & Development
City of Hutchinson
|Job at a Glance|
|Job Category||Economic Planning and Development|
|Job Level||Senior (8-10 years)|
|Salary Range||$65,770 - $99,052 DOQ|
Under the general direction from the City Manager, the Director of Planning is responsible for planning, directing, managing, and overseeing the activities of the city’s municipal planning operations. This position administers, interprets and leads the development of the city’s comprehensive master plan, land use and zoning regulations, building and property maintenance codes, housing initiatives, neighborhood revitalization and history preservation projects, state and federal compliance related to floodplains and grant-funded programs.
This position also serves as the primary liaison with county officials, community groups, schools, and neighboring communities regarding planning community development issues within the city and region. The essential functions for this executive level position include:
• Providing information, technical assistance, and professional guidance to developers, architects, engineers, the general public, Planning Commission, Board of Appeals, Historic Preservation Commission, other Boards and Commissions, and the City Council.
• Reviewing and approving site plans, subdivision plans, and other developments and providing information that will assist developers, contractors and the general public to understand planning and zoning related issues and processes.
• Analyzing and preparing policy documentation and code interpretation recommendations to City Manager, City Council, City and Planning Commission regarding re-zonings, special exception permits, certificates of appropriateness and comprehensive plan to ensure appropriate land development.
• Monitoring and evaluating the efficiency and effectiveness of the department’s service delivery methods and procedures to ensure that the Planning Department is sensitive and responsive to the needs of a wide variety of stakeholders and interest groups, and has efficient, user-friendly processes and procedures.
• Providing technical reports and recommendations to City Council, other city departments, planning commission, private developers and individuals to ensure proper land use and application of sound urban planning principles to developments within the municipality.
• Working closely with City Manager, Engineering, Public Works and other departments in in analyzing and creating plans for long- and short-term infrastructure development, including parks, trails, streets, water and sewer, storm drainage, parking and other public facilities
• Supporting the city’s Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Appeals, Housing Commission, and Landmarks Commission and serving as a technical advisor to ensure that an urban planning perspective is maintained.
Minimum Requirements Include: Bachelor's degree in urban planning, urban design, or a closely related field (Master’s degree in urban planning or public administration is desirable) with a minimum of 8 years of experience in municipal or county planning, two of which must be in a management capacity. Experience with building and code enforcement a strong plus. American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) credentials preferred, but not required.
The new director will serve as a key member of the Executive Management team and will be a collaborative business partner with other departments and will be capable of bringing new ideas, innovations, and best practices to the organization to further development of robust, efficient, and service-oriented operations.
The City of Hutchinson is located forty-five miles northwest of Wichita and offers many of the amenities and comforts of larger metropolitan areas while preserving the spirit of small town living. In addition to its excellent public and private schools, the community has a well-diversified economy that includes in agriculture, healthcare, energy, higher education, manufacturing and business services.
The City provides a full range of municipal services to more than 40,000 citizens and currently employs 400 full-time employees with an annual operation budget of $77.8M. The City has a Council-City Manager form of government; with a five member Council (four members are elected by district and on position at-large). The City Manager is appointed by the Council and is charged with management of the City’s diverse departments and operations.
The City of Hutchinson offers an excellent total compensation package and strongly supports employee training and development.
For consideration, please complete on-line application and attach resume at: www.hutchgov.com/employment
Applicants are encouraged to communicate any salary expectations in their cover letter.
|Contact Name||Sheri Young|
|Postal Address||125 East Avenue B
Hutchinson, KS 67501