Town of Crested Butte
Crested Butte, CO
|Job at a Glance|
|Job Level||Mid I (1-4 years)|
The Town of Crested Butte, Colorado is seeking a highly motivated and experienced planner to fill the position of Town Planner. Crested Butte is located in the central Colorado mountains, about 200 miles west of Denver, Colorado. Crested Butte has a small town atmosphere, a strong sense of community, world class summer and winter recreation, big city amenities and a national historic district, all adding up to an exceptional quality of life. Located at an elevation of 8,885 feet within Gunnison County, Crested Butte encompasses approximately 540 acres, has a permanent population of 1,500 people and a peak season population of 3,000 people. The upper East River Valley, where Crested Butte is located, is a destination tourist area attracting thousands of visitors per year. Unlike most such destination tourist communities where second homes out number occupied homes, almost 70% of the 1,100 housing units in town are occupied year-round by residents and 30% are second homes or vacation rentals.
Gunnison County is one of the largest counties in Colorado, encompassing 3,239 square miles. 78% of the county is federal land owned by the United States Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, or the National Park Service.
Crested Butte is connected to nearby Mt. Crested Butte and Crested Butte Mountain Resort ski area, located just two miles north of town, by the Mountain Express bus system that operates 365 days per year and carries 590,000 people annually. The Gunnison Valley Transportation Authority bus system carries 70,000 people between Mt. Crested Butte and Gunnison, the location of the Crested Butte-Gunnison airport.
Crested Butte is a unique blend of old and new. While the town is a modern and sophisticated community, the town is proud of its culture, heritage and focus on historic preservation. The entire downtown business district and surrounding homes are located within the national register of historic places boundary.
Although viewpoints, passions and interest are diverse, residents share quality of life in a community that offers a safe environment as well as natural beauty. Many non-profit organizations work hard to preserve both the environment and the natural beauty as well as offer high quality cultural, educational and recreational amenities.
The position reports to the Town Manager and works closely with the department heads, Town Council and Board of Zoning and Architectureal Review. The position assists in the development and upgrading of plans and regulations that guide the growth and development of Crested Butte. The position also monitors and advises the town on development and planning in the surrounding area which includes Gunnison County and the Gunnison National Forest where the Crested Butte watershed and many town open space initiatives occur.
• Helps develop policies relative to planning and zoning regulations that guide both long term and project specific development in the Town.
• Works with the Town Attorney to write ordinances and regulations that codify planning initiatives.
• Works to develop and implement policies programs and regulations relative to affordable housing.
• Analyzes and makes recommendation regarding annexations and major subdivision.
• Monitors and tracks changes in the Town and immediate area relative to changing social and demographic trends.
• Interacts with the public, land owners, developers and stake holders in outreach activities designed to inform Town policy.
• Writes and presents staff reports and recommendations to the staff, Zoning and Architectural Review Board and Town Council.
• May engage in mediation, negotiation, and enforcement activities relative to plan and regulation implementation.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND CAPABILITIES
• Considerable knowledge of planning programs, principles and processes.
• Knowledge of standard office and planning software including Excel, Microsoft Word, and GIS.
• Strong knowledge of zoning and comprehensive plans.
• Public process and survey skills.
• Understanding of basic economic principles.
• Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical analysis. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.
• Ability to read and interpret plans and specifications.
• Good communication skill both oral and written.
• Grant writing skills.
• Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions in private and group settings.
• Ability to read and interpret business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and governmental regulations.
• Ability to stay calm in stressful and confrontational situations.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s degree in planning, landscape architecture, urban design or a closely related field. A master’s degree is preferred.
• At least two years of practical professional planning experience.
• Familiarity with Colorado land use law, Gunnison County land use law, and Crested Butte land use regulations are desirable.
• Experience in a resort mountain town is a plus.
• Grant writing experience is preferable.
• Experience with drafting regulations, presenting in front of the public and designing and conducting outreach activities is preferable.
• AICP planning certification is preferred.
• A combination of education and experience may be considered.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
• Most of the position’s activities are office oriented.
• Travel to meetings throughout the state is required.
• Ability to traverse uneven terrain is required for site visits.
• The salary range for this position is $45,000 - $68,000 dependent upon the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate. Crested Butte offers an attractive benefit package including health insurance, retirement and paid vacation.
To apply submit cover letter, resume and application to Human Resource Dept., P.O. Box 39, Crested Butte, CO 81224 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Job description and application are available at www.townofcrestedbutte.com. Closing date November 8, 5:00 p.m.
THE TOWN OF CRESTED BUTTE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
|Contact Name||Lois Rozman|
|Postal Address||Town of Crested Butte
PO Box 39
Crested Butte, CO 81224