Assistant City Manager
City Of Charlotte
|Job at a Glance|
|Job Category||Other topics not covered above|
|Job Level||Executive (10+ years)|
|AICP Certification||Not Required|
The City of Charlotte is seeking an Assistant City Manager (ACM) who is a seasoned professional, passionate about local democratic governance, committed to the highest levels of ethical behavior and driven to help build a great city whose government leaders listen to the public and provide service of an exceptional value through proactive civic engagement.
Organization, Position Overview and Responsibilities:
The City Manager is the chief executive officer of the City and manages the day-to-day operations of 14 departments and over 6800 employees with a total City budget of $1.96 billion for FY2014. The Manager is assisted by a leadership team made up of one Deputy City Manager, three Assistant City Managers, a Chief of Staff and other related staff. The Executive Staff functions as a team, taking responsibility for the city as a whole, rather than as individual portfolios. Charlotte has a long history of the Council-Manager form of government. The Mayor and 11-member Council are elected every two years. Four Council Members are elected at-large, and seven Council Members elected from districts.
Charlotte’s Deputy and Assistant City Managers provide policy assistance to City Council and operational oversight of the City’s five Focus Area initiatives:
• Community Safety
• Economic Development
• Housing and Neighborhood Development
Responsibilities include connecting the dots across agencies and sectors to ensure that City operations contribute to building the community. Emphasis is placed on public engagement, productivity improvement, cost effectiveness and quality service.
The qualified ACM candidate will have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Public Administration or a related field and five years of management experience. A Master’s degree (MPA) is strongly preferred as well as a minimum of five years management experience in local government. The starting salary and benefits are highly competitive and negotiable depending upon the experience and qualifications of the successful candidate. The successful candidate will be required to establish permanent residence in the City within six months of the date of hire and maintain residence in the City throughout his/her tenure of employment. Relocation assistance will be provided.
The Successful Candidate:
• is a progressive leader with a proven track record in innovative municipal management;
• is skilled in leading cross-functional teams using a collaborative, team-based style to resolve complex problems and capitalize on opportunities with creative solutions;
• has an excellent track record in establishing and maintaining working relationships with City staff, City Council and other public officials, business and community leaders, and the general public
• possesses executive level skills in communications, strategic planning, finance and budget development, administration and intergovernmental relations;
• is keenly analytical and a critical thinker while being accessible and personable to people at all levels of the organization;
• develops and maintains effective working relationships with diverse internal and external partners, including nonprofits and businesses, through demonstrated personal community engagement;
• effectively cultivates an outstanding workforce through development and management of staff talent;
• can embrace and model the City’s core values of accountability, creativity, trustworthiness, inclusiveness and collaboration.
With a diverse population of over 775,000, Charlotte is the largest city in N.C., and located in Mecklenburg County. Known as the “Queen City”, Charlotte is part of the Charlotte Metropolitan area, a vibrant area of more than 2 million people which includes numerous industries, more than a dozen colleges and universities, and is home to the NFL Charlotte Panthers, NBA Charlotte Bobcats and NASCAR. Charlotte has performing arts venues, art and science museums, and world-class medical facilities. With its temperate climate and close proximity to both the mountains of North Carolina and Atlantic Ocean beaches, Charlotte provides residents the best of both worlds. More about this exciting community and its accolades can be found at: http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/Pages/CharlotteAtAGlance.aspx.
Confidential Application and Selection Process
To apply for this position, visit the Developmental Associates client openings website, where you will find links to current openings and information about assessments. All applications must be submitted online via this portal and will be treated with confidentiality.
The position is open until filled; however interested applicants are strongly encouraged to apply no later than November 18, 2013. Applications will continue to be screened through November 22, 2013. Semi-Finalists will participate in an assessment center in Charlotte on December 5 and 6, 2013. The preferred start date is no later than January, 2014. Final candidates will be required to pass a pre-employment drug-screen and submit to a comprehensive background check.
The official City of Charlotte website is http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/. The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity at all levels of its workforce.
The recruitment and selection process is being managed by Developmental Associates, LLC. All inquiries should be emailed to Charlottehiring@developmentalassociates.com
|Contact Name||Heather Lee|