Planner IV - Housing And Community Development
City of Oklahoma City
Oklahoma City, OK
|Job at a Glance|
|Job Category||Community Development and Redevelopment|
|Job Level||Senior (8-10 years)|
|Salary Range||$67,233.60 - $102,813.12 Annually|
This job is located in the Housing and Community Development Division of the Planning Department with the City of Oklahoma City and is under the general direction of a Department Head. Planner IV is a professional classification requiring the application of advanced technical and administrative skills in the management of a specialized planning area. Planner IV’s coordinate the operations of a planning division or section, as well as prepare official documents or reports based on extensive, comprehensive research. This position will be responsible for managing the Housing and Community Development Division of approximately 15 employees; ensuring compliance with federal and other grant requirements; and optimizing the effectiveness of existing programs and developing new programs. This Planner IV will be expected to develop innovative solutions to long-standing community development issues and manage multiple federal grant funded programs.
Essential job functions include: performing numerous administrative functions in the management of a division or section’s operations; assessing numerous variables, both abstract and concrete, to coordinate project efforts for long-range or current planning requirements or proposals; providing staff with verbal and written administrative and technical instructions to promote the optimal efficiency of work projects; representing the City as a participant on or adviser to various boards, commissions, official policymaking bodies, and citizens’ groups to relate or promote the City’s position in technical or administrative areas; and reviewing complex data, studying trends, collecting information, and preparing specialized reports or documents based on in-depth research. Employees of this classification have frequent contact with City officials and staff, citizens’ groups, and other professionals and may officially represent a Department Head in his/her absence. Work products are subject to review by conferences, staff reports, and observations concerning the status of projects.
• Knowledge of administrative and management principles.
• Skill in coordinating planning functions for long-range or current requirements.
• Skill in supervising subordinate personnel.
• Skill in assessing a wide variety of information for operational feasibility.
• Skill in verbal and written communication using tact and diplomacy.
• Skill in relaying both technical and non-technical information effectively.
• Skill in preparing complex statistical and narrative reports.
• Ability to make immediate decisions or responses related to City programs and functions.
• Ability to make administrative decisions.
• Ability to think logically.
• Willingness to participate and skill in disseminating complex data before various official boards and citizens’ groups.
• Willingness to assume responsibility for work products and decisions made.
• Master's Degree in city and regional planning, public administration, economic development, or a closely related field.
• 7-10 years' experience managing a team of five or more professional employees.
• Experience administering urban planning, community development, and/or federal grant programs, including Community Development Block Grant, HOME, Continuum of Care, and Low Income Housing Tax Credits.
• Experience developing, implementing and managing housing programs, especially those targeting low income and disadvantaged groups.
• Experience developing and implementing programs addressing complex community development and neighborhood revitalization issues.
• Experience interpreting and applying census and other data sources to accomplish community development goals.
For full details related to this position and to apply, go to the City of Oklahoma City website at www.okc.gov/jobs