AICP Candidate Pilot Program
Paths to AICP
The AICP Candidate Pilot Program provides you with a path to start earlier — the criteria to become AICP are the same.
Put Your Career On the Fast Track
Distinguish yourself from your peers through the AICP Candidate Pilot Program. Demonstrate to potential employers a commitment to mastering planning skills and maintaining the highest standard of ethical practice.
About the AICP Candidate Pilot Program
- Students and graduates of PAB accredited programs can:
- Enroll in the program at any time
- Register for the AICP Certification Exam starting in December or June after you graduate
- Use the payment program for exam fees
- Take the exam prior to earning professional planning experience
Realize the Career Advancement Benefits
- Get a head start — Take the exam after earning your degree
- Distinguish yourself — Use the AICP Candidate designation after passing the exam
- Learn from the best — Get career advice and guidance from an AICP mentor
- Make connections — Network with the planning community at local and national events
- Lead the profession — Stand out as an AICP Certified Planner
Step 1: Enroll, $35
|Program Enrollment Deadline (for November Exam)||September 30, 2020, 3:00 p.m. CT|
Step 2: November 2020 Certification Exam, $100
|Registration Window Opens||June 1, 2020, 9:00 a.m. CT|
|Graduation documentation submission deadline||October 5, 2020, 5:00 p.m. CT|
|Registration window closes||October 30, 2020, 3:00 p.m. CT|
|Exam window||November 9-23, 2020|
Step 3: Work Experience and Essay, $375
|Submission Window Opens||Dates TBD. Please check back.|
|Early Bird Deadline||Dates TBD. Please check back.|
|Submission Window Closes||Dates TBD. Please check back.|
Step One: Enroll in the AICP Candidate Pilot Program
Qualified APA members may enroll in the program at any time during the year by:
- Submitting education verification documents (graduates submit documents upon enrolling; students submit documentation after graduation);
- Committing to the AICP Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct;
- Paying a $35 fee; and
- Beginning to track Certification Maintenance credits — 16 CM credits must be completed and tracked before applying for certification.
APA will verify program enrollment for graduate participants no later than four weeks after an enrollee completes these steps. Accepted enrollees are encouraged to review these exam prep tips. They also may begin earning Certification Maintenance credits and select mentors.
IMPORTANT: Although eligible members may enroll in the AICP Candidate Pilot Program at any time, since graduation is required to register for the exam, when you enroll may affect when you can take the AICP Certification Exam. Members who join the program as graduates must enroll by a deadline set for each exam cycle. Specific dates are posted below.
|Step One: Enrollment Fee||$35|
|Step Two: AICP Candidate Exam Registration Fee||$100|
|Step Three: AICP Certification Application Fee||$375|
|**All fees are non-refundable.|
Requirements for Step Two depend on whether the AICP Candidate Pilot Program participant was a student or a graduate at the time he or she enrolled in the program.
Program participants must graduate to register for the exam. It could take APA up to four weeks to examine graduation verification documents. Participants should refer to the specific deadlines shown below.
Registering for the exam:
- Register for the exam by paying a $100 exam fee in December–April (for the May exam) or in June–October (for the November exam);
- Submit graduation verification documents (if applicable);
- Schedule an exam date with Prometric up to two days before the exam administration window opens; and
- Review additional details about registering for the exam in the AICP Candidate Program Guide.
Step Three: Earn AICP Certification
Program participants who have passed the AICP Certification Exam are eligible to join AICP and use the AICP certification when they have:
- Tracked 16 CM credits, including 1.5 Ethics and 1.5 Law
- Earned the required years of professional planning experience;
- Applied for certification (application windows are open only in June and December):
- Submitted employment verification documents
- Submitted essays demonstrating professional planning experience criteria
- Paid final installment of the exam fee when submitting the application: $375
- Reviewed additional details about the application steps in the AICP Candidate Program Guide
- Received approval of essays (peer review process takes approximately eight weeks after application submission)
- Paid AICP dues
For complete details, including enrolling in the program, signing up for a mentor, and registering for and taking the AICP Certification Exam, download the AICP Candidate Pilot Program Guide.
If you have additional questions, contact us using our customer service form.