AICP Certified Environmental Planner (AICP CEP)
Advanced Specialty Certification in Environmental Planning recognizes an individual's in-depth knowledge, experience, and leadership skills in environmental planning.
2016 AICP CEP Exam
|December 1, 2015||Application Window Opens|
|January 22, 2016
11:59 p.m. CT
|May 9-22, 2016||Testing Window|
Before applying to take the examination, applicants must:
1. Be a member of AICP in good standing.
2. Have completed a total of eight years of experience in environmental planning at the time of application submission.
3. Applicants must write three 250-500 word essays (see criteria 1-3 below) to demonstrate their advanced environmental planning experience. This includes the years of experience that was applied towards the AICP exam. Experience dedicated towards the management of environmental projects or environmental planning employees should be considered towards your eight years of experience. Applicants engaged in part-time environmental planning experience may prorate that experience into a full-time equivalent. For example, a position in which the applicant worked 20 hours/week for six months in an environmental planning assignment may prorate that experience into the full-time equivalent of three months of environmental planning experience.
The essays are submitted through an online form during the application window.
Criterion 1 - Explain how you contributed to the following decision-making and resolution processes of a complex environmental planning problem:
- Describe how you evaluated competing alternatives or issues AND
- Describe how you addressed challenging issues.
Criterion 2 - Explain how you coordinated across constituencies and disciplines to balance competing interests and build consensus to achieve mutually beneficial objectives in the following scenarios:
- Discuss how you have influenced public decision making in the public interest while at the position or working on the project in question AND
- Describe how you collaborated with other agencies, departments, municipalities, etc., while at the position or working on the project in question.
Criterion 3 - Demonstrate your expertise in efficiently integrating environmental systems into the full set of systems necessary for healthy and sustainable communities by:
- Describing a project in which you efficiently integrated natural systems into the full set of systems necessary for healthy and sustainable communities. (e.g., Promote integrated storm water solution strategies into the human landscape).
Why Earn the Credential?
Experts who helped develop the exam explain its value for certified planners.
ASC Exam Candidate Bulletin
The ASC Exam Candidate Bulletin is your complete guide to earning an Advanced Specialty Certification credential. Get full details about exam qualifications, application, registration, fees, and exam content.
Exam Preparation Resources
To prepare for the exam, AICP members should take advantage of topically relevant courses and resources covered in the exam outline to solidify knowledge in familiar areas as well as gain exposure in topic areas that may be outside of their specialization.
$100 Application Fee (non-refundable)
$425 Testing Fee
No additional membership dues.