AICP Certified Transportation Planner (AICP CTP)
Advanced Specialty Certification in Transportation Planning recognizes an individual's in-depth knowledge, experience, and leadership skills in transportation planning.
2018 AICP CTP Exam
|Application Window Opens||December 1, 2017, 9:00 a.m. CT|
|Final Application Deadline||January 25, 2018, 5:00 p.m. CT|
|Registration Deadline||April 27, 2018, 5:00 p.m. CT|
|Testing Window||May 14–28, 2018|
Before applying to take the examination, applicants must:
1. Be a member of AICP in good standing.
2. Have completed a total of eight years of experience in transportation planning at the time of application submission.
3. Applicants must write three 250-500 word essays (see criteria 1-3 below) to demonstrate their advanced transportation planning experience. This includes the years of experience that was applied towards the AICP exam. Experience dedicated towards the management of transportation projects or transportation planning employees should be considered towards your eight years of experience. Applicants engaged in part-time transportation planning experience may prorate that experience into a full-time equivalent. For example, a position in which the applicant worked 20 hours/week for six months in a transportation planning assignment may prorate that experience into the full-time equivalent of three months of transportation planning experience.
The essays are submitted through an online form during the application window.
Criterion 1 — Explain how you contributed to the following decision-making and resolution processes of a complex transportation planning problem:
- Describe how you evaluated competing alternatives or issues AND
- Describe how you addressed challenging issues.
Criterion 2 — Explain how you coordinated across constituencies and disciplines to balance competing interests and build consensus to achieve mutually beneficial objectives in the following scenarios:
- Discuss how you have influenced public decision making in the public interest while at the position or working on the project in question AND
- Describe how you collaborated with other agencies, departments, municipalities, etc., while at the position or working on the project in question.
Criterion 3 — Demonstrate your expertise in efficiently integrating transportation systems into the full set of systems necessary for healthy and sustainable communities by:
- Describing a project in which you efficiently integrated transport systems into the full set of systems necessary for healthy and sustainable communities. (e.g., Promote the use of public transportation and walking as alternatives to private vehicles.)
ASC Exam Candidate Bulletin
The ASC Exam Candidate Bulletin is your complete guide to earning an Advanced Specialty Certification credential. Get full details about exam qualifications, application, registration, fees, and exam content.
Exam Preparation Resources
To prepare for the exam, AICP members should take advantage of topically relevant courses and resources covered in the exam outline to solidify knowledge in familiar areas as well as gain exposure in topic areas that may be outside of their specialization.
- Where do I start?
- Exam outline by topic
- Selected readings
- Links to preparation resources
- Advanced Transportation Planning 1
- Advanced Transportation Planning 2
- Advanced Transportation Planning 3
- Transportation Division Study Guide
(for members of the division)
$100 Application Fee (non-refundable)
$425 Testing Fee
No additional membership dues.