AICP Certified Urban Designer (AICP CUD)
Advanced Specialty Certification in Urban Design recognizes an individual's knowledge, experience, and application of design principles.
2016 AICP CUD Exam
|December 1, 2015||Application Window Opens|
|January 22, 2016
11:59 p.m. CT
|May 9-22, 2016||Testing Window|
Before applying to take the examination, applicants must:
- Be a member of AICP in good standing.
- Have completed a total of eight years of experience in urban design at the time of application submission.
AICP CUD recognition is awarded to certified professional planners who have achieved an exceptional level of expertise in:
- analysis of complex urban design situations;
- creativity in developing urban design options;
- collaboration and communication across a wide range of constituencies and disciplines;
- managing the process of urban design and engaging the community in the process;
- integrating other planning elements such as transportation, green infrastructure, public space, cultural heritage, sustainability, and resiliency into designs.
Applicants must write a 250-500 word essay per position used to meet the eight-year minimum requirement. Applicants must describe how their professional experience meets this definition for each employment position used to fulfill the eight years of experience. This includes the years of experience that were applied towards the AICP exam. Applicants are encouraged to assess the professional responsibilities in each position and estimate the portion of that position that is devoted to urban design. Experience dedicated towards the management of urban design projects or design employees should be considered towards your eight years of experience.
Applicants engaged in part-time urban design experience may prorate that experience into a full-time equivalent. For example, a position in which the applicant worked 20 hours/week for six months in an urban design assignment may prorate that experience into the full-time equivalent of three months of relevant urban design experience.
Why Earn the Credential?
Experts who helped develop the exam explain its value for certified planners.
ASC Exam Candidate Bulletin
The ASC Exam Candidate Bulletin is your complete guide to earning an Advanced Specialty Certification credential. Get full details about exam qualifications, application, registration, fees, and exam content.
Exam Preparation Resources
To prepare for the exam, AICP members should take advantage of topically relevant courses and resources covered in the exam outline to solidify knowledge in familiar areas as well as gain exposure in topic areas that may be outside of their specialization.
$100 Application Fee (non-refundable)
$425 Testing Fee
No additional membership dues.