All of the APA National Planning Award nominations must be submitted through the appropriate online form (only active during the nomination period). Be sure to review the individual eligibility and criteria requirements for the specific award category you wish to submit a nomination.
Any planning project or work occurring outside of the United States must be entered in the Pierre L'Enfant International Planning Award category.
This information does not apply to the AICP Student Project Award, AICP Outstanding Student Awards, or the SRC Planning Student Organizations (PSO) Awards.
General Submission Information
Nominations must be submitted online through APA's website.
The following information is required for each nomination. Be sure to review the eligibility requirements:
1. Summary of the entry (100–200 words)
2. Award criteria Describe how the entry satisfies the award criteria (Maximum of 300 words per each item listed under category criteria)
3. Letters of support
- At least one (1); up to five (5) one-page letters of support.
- Letters should be addressed: Members of the 2015 Awards Jury.
- Letters must be included in the online nomination form. Do not mail letters.
- Letter(s) should offer support for the value of the nominated effort.
- Letter(s) may not be written by the nominator of the submission, by the nominated individual or by anyone who directly worked on the project: members of the project team, consultant team or planning department staff or anyone that had daily interaction or oversight on the project.
- Client letters are acceptable.
- Comments from APA chapters, divisions, members, and other stakeholders involved with the subject of the nomination are encouraged.
4. Digital images (jpg format only) that are copyright-free with captions.
Submit only images that are copyright-free and may be reproduced by APA without a fee, charge, or copyright infringement. Read the photography tips (pdf).
- Images should provide context and show the award nomination's positive or intended outcomes.
- Images should supplement what exists in the written summary and criteria sections.
- Each image must be uploaded individually.
- Images must be .jpeg format.
- Each image is limited to a maximum 600 kilobytes (KB).
- Each image should be 200 dpi with a physical size of 5 inches by 7 inches
- Each image must include a photo caption. Captions must be between 15 and 25 words each.
- Photo collages and PowerPoint presentations are not accepted.
- Five (5) digital images are required for all of the National Planning Awards.
- For the Planning Advocate category.
- Include at least one (1) recent picture of the individual.
- Photos should be representative or illustrative of the person's most significant professional work and endeavors.
- Do not submit images showing the nominee in non-work-related settings.
5. Supplemental materials (optional)
Supplemental materials may add additional support to your nomination. Materials may include press clips, brochures, posters, design guidelines, fact sheets, etc. If your nomination is about a plan, be sure to include a copy of the plan.
All supplemental materials must be included in your online nomination. You have two options:
- Upload the document to your nomination form.
- Each uploaded document must be less than 10 MB in size
- Ensure that your URL will remain active through December.
- Links to FTP sites are not accepted.
Entry Fee, If Applicable
The fee for submitting a nomination:
- $95 per nomination for APA members (the APA member must be the nominator and logged in to obtain the member rate)
- $225 per nomination for non-APA members
There is no nomination fee for the following categories: HUD Secretary; Planning Pioneer; and Planning Landmark. Fees must be paid by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover) online via the nomination form. Cash payments are not accepted.