Projects in China
Since 1996, APA has collaborated on demonstration projects. The first project was a thorough investigation and study of the management of China's arable lands and the use of land and water, done in cooperation with the Chinese Ministry of Land and Natural Resources and the United Nations Development Program (UNDP).
APA's goal is to help create plans that:
- best serve a city's future
- set a good example in terms of city planning at large
- create a new trend in the planning process, urban design philosophy, or problem-solving tools
APA also co-drafted, with the China Academy of Urban Planning, check-up systems to examine the proficiency of certified planners in China. In 1999, APA and the Regional Planning Association created a plan for the Shanghai Pudong Huamu Area.
In 2000, APA and the Chinese Mayors Association started the Mayors Forum to promote exchange between mayors. In 2002, with the assistance of the Nanjing Planning Bureau, APA conducted research on the historic preservation of ancient capitals. APA also invited Professor Grover Mouton III to collaborate with the Nanjing Planning Bureau on the master plan for Menxi, Nanjing.
Completed demonstration projects include:
- A Strategic Plan for Conserving and Developing Tenchong's Traditional Villages
- Jintang Water Management Recommendation Report (pdf)
- Plan of Huamu District in Pudong, Shanghai
- Menxi Historical Preservation and Revitalization Plan, Nanjing
- Zhenjiang Nanxu New Town Development
- Comparative Research on Historical Cities in the World (for Nanjing Urban Planning Bureau)
- Coastline Plan of Tianjin Municipality
- General Land Use Plan, Tianjin Municipality
- Xiaozhazhen Master Plan and Urban Design Guidelines (pdf)
- Strategic Plan for Nantong Regional and Port District in Inner Yangtze River
- Changxing South Lake Tai Scenic Highway Design (pdf)
- Strategic Research on Economic Development in Zhenjiang City (pdf)
- Strategic Development Plan for the City of Yancheng (pdf)
- Nanjing Liuhe District Development Strategic Research (pdf)
- Nanjing Qilin Eco Science Park Design Consulting (pdf)
Ongoing projects include:
- Nanjing Liuhe District Longpao Town Conceptual Urban Design
- Nanjing Liuhe District Golden Ox Lake Town Strategic Plan
- TengChong Village Conservation and Economic Strategy
APA wishes to acknowledge the U.S. Department of Commerce, International Trade Administration, for its support on these two projects.