|#e.25029||Tuesday 8:00AM to 5:00PM
December 3, 2013
CM | 8.00
Wasatch Choice for 2040 Full-Day Training Session
APA Utah Chapter
Salt Lake City, UT
The Wasatch Choice for 2040 partners are offering intensive full-day training sessions on a new suite of planning tools. These tools will help communities as they plan for growth. Participants will learn about:
• Envision Tomorrow Plus (ET+), a GIS-based scenario planning and mapping software. The software helps communities explore the quality-of-life consequences of potential futures, and explains the implications of growth on factors such as air quality, water conservation, energy consumption, housing + transportation costs, household travel demand, and other factors.
• A Wasatch Front Housing Opportunity Study, mapping out housing opportunities across the Wasatch Front, and enhancing regional understanding of housing needs.
• An innovative zoning template that works with the housing market, while ensuring buildings look and feel walkable. Participants will hear an overview of Form Based Codes and where they fit in a typical planning process, as well as an overview of the Form Based Code template developed by the Wasatch Choice for 2040 partners and how the template has already been used by communities along the Wasatch Front.
• The Implementing Centers guidebook, a tool to enable community revitalization. This training will help participants learn about and understand common barriers to higher density and mixed-use development on the Wasatch Front, and how checklists and guidebooks developed by the Wasatch Choice for 2040 partners can be used to assess barriers to development and create strategies to address those barriers.
• An Envisioning Centers guide, which shows how the tools might help communities explore plans and development with residents. The Envisioning Centers guide provides step-by-step guidance on establishing a community-based visioning process, developing stakeholder support, creating a baseline scenario and various growth scenarios using ET+, evaluating scenarios based on their compatibility with the community vision, and exploring methods for implementing the vision. The Envisioning Centers guide integrates the Wasatch Choice for 2040 tools into a holistic planning process.