Request for Proposals
Noise Element & Noise Ordinance
City of Saratoga
Submittal Deadline: 03/28/2013
The City of Saratoga is seeking qualified consultants to complete an update to the Noise Element and assist staff in updating the noise ordinance.
The City of Saratoga is located in Santa Clara County, 10 miles southwest of San Jose and 35 miles south of San Francisco. The City’s population is approximately 31,000 and encompasses an area of 12 square miles. Saratoga is well known for its superior schools and low crime rate. The City is primarily a built out residential community and offers its residents a high quality of life in a semi-rural setting.
California Government Code Section 65302(f) requires a Noise Element as one of the seven mandatory elements of the City’s General Plan. The Noise Element is used to identify and appraise noise issues in Saratoga and analyze and quantify current and projected noise levels for noise sources. These noise sources would include but are not limited to highways and freeways, primary arterials and major local streets, railroad operations, and other ground stationary noise sources identified as contributing to the City’s noise environment.
The last update to the Noise Element was made in August 1988. A copy of the City’s current Noise Element is available on the City’s website at http://www.saratoga.ca.us/cityhall/cd/general_plan.asp.
OBJECTIVE AND SCOPE OF WORK:
The City of Saratoga is seeking qualified consultants to complete an update to the Noise Element and assist staff in updating the noise ordinance. The City proposes a tentative schedule that includes submittal of a final draft of the update to the City in December 2013 with a final acceptance of work by January 2014.
The Noise Element Update is a project and subject to review under the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA). It anticipated that a Negative Declaration/Mitigated Negative Declaration will be prepared.
City staff will be responsible for consultation with tribes, State, and local agencies as required by State law.
The City will provide base maps in Arc GIS format for Noise Element exhibits.
For proposals to be considered, they must meet the submission requirements set forth below. A proposal shall constitute an irrevocable offer for 60 business days following the deadline for its submission.
• Five hard copies and one copy on a CD of the proposal are due by 5:00 p.m. on March 28, 2013 to:
City of Saratoga, Community Development Department
Attention: Christopher Riordan
13777 Fruitvale Avenue
Saratoga, CA 95070
• Any proposal received after this time will not be accepted.
2. Cover Letter:
• Briefly summarize the proposal and include an overview of how the project objectives, scope of work, and anticipated timeline will be satisfied
3. Proposal Contents:
• Information about the Firm specifically:
• Firm name, address, telephone and e-mail address
• Name and telephone number of contact person
• A list of the firm’s principals with experience, background, academic training and registration
• Location of office where this work would be performed
• List of personnel working on the Noise Element update, including experience, background, academic training, registration, and anticipated role in the project and how the staff would be organized
• Statement of what especially qualifies your firm to perform this work, including a description of similar projects that the firm has performed previously
• Description of all required tasks to complete the work
• Provide a budget breakdown
• Include itemized person-hours, rates and costs for all required work tasks
• Include section of costs for meeting attendance (so that the budget can be later adjusted to accommodate more or less meetings than anticipated in this RFP)
[Note: This budget will not be binding; the final agreement will be the result of a precise scope of work and a negotiated compensation amount]
• Include a statement that the proposer agrees to provide services pursuant to the terms of the City’s standard services agreement (attached) and identifying any proposed revisions to that agreement
• Include supplemental information, if any, such as a firm brochure, fees for additional services, etc., at the end of the proposal
• Provide at least 3 customer references that include the following details:
• Customer reference name, title, organization, address, phone number, and email address
• Relevant work experience, such as updating a Noise Element or a similar project
• References that reflect experience working with a municipality of a similar size and character of Saratoga
All questions regarding this RFP should be directed to Christopher Riordan at (408) 868-1235 or email@example.com.