Request for Qualifications
Mall Redevelopment Project
Charlotte Neighborhood & Business Services
Submittal Deadline: 02/15/2013
The City of Charlotte has acquired ownership of the former Eastland Mall site, including 80.4 acres and 1.2 million square feet of vacant retail space located on the east side of Charlotte. The City is seeking a visionary development team to redevelop the property to create a new center of economic and community activity. Developers are invited to submit qualifications. A subsequent RFP will be issued to a short list of qualified development teams.
In August 2012, the City of Charlotte acquired ownership of the former Eastland Mall site, located on the east side of Charlotte at 5471 Central Ave (Site). The City’s ownership consists of 80.4 acres and 1.2 million square feet of vacant retail space. The City pursued this acquisition in order to implement broad policy objectives for neighborhood stabilization and economic development through a master planned mixed-use redevelopment.
The City is now seeking to sell the property to a development team that will achieve the following objectives:
• Implement a catalytic redevelopment that is seamlessly integrated with surrounding neighborhoods and commercial corridors;
• Develop a financially viable, phased project using private-sector funding sources;
• Expand the State and local property, sales and income tax base;
• Provide new employment opportunities;
• Provide open space and community amenities; and
• Provide support for new and emerging market-driven economic clusters in the region.
Developers are invited to submit qualifications. A subsequent RFP will be issued to a short list of qualified development teams.