County Planning Division at the APA National Planning Conference
County Planning Division Annual Meeting and Project Awards Presentation (X017)
Sponsored by esri
The County Planning Division would like to thank esri for sponsoring the Annual Business Meeting and Project Awards Presentation.
County Planning Division/Technology Division Joint Reception (P014)
Monday, 6:30–8:30 p.m.
Location — Sear Bar and Lounge, Atlanta Marriott Marquis Hotel
Facilitated Discussion: Aging Communities (S827)
Monday, 4:00-5:15 p.m.
Communities are undergoing a demographic shift in population across the country. We are living longer and having fewer babies. In 20-30 years, there will be more people over 60 than under 15. This session will discuss what needs to change for those aging to stay in their homes and remain active, engaged community members.
- Jacqui Kamp, AICP, Planner II, Community Planning Department, Clark County, WA
- Jana Lynott, AICP | Senior Strategic Policy Advisor - Transportation and Livable Communities| Public Policy Institute | AARP
Redeveloping Greyfields – Role of County Governments (S476)
Sunday, 1:00–2:15 p.m.
Location — TBA
As existing retail development relocates into new market areas, local jurisdictions are often faced with what to do with the swath of aging and most often vacant retail centers and buildings left behind — "greyfields." Speakers will provide a brief background as to what created this large inventory of vacant and/or underperforming retail centers; the market barriers to redevelopment of these properties; why this issue is important to local governments; and examples of successful public and private initiatives that have reinvigorated failing retail centers. This issue is of significant importance to cities and counties across the US as suburban communities age and tax base erodes. Participants will find the speakers highly knowledgeable about hands-on techniques that local governments can employ in working with owners of these properties to revitalize and/or redevelop this vast expanse of greyfields.
- Tim Brown, AICP, Chair, County Planning Division, Senior Planner, Walton County, FL
- Connie B. Cooper, FAICP, President, Cooper Consulting Company, Inc.
- Barbara Byron, AICP, Director, Office of Community Revitalization, Fairfax County, TX
- Nicki van Vonno, AICP, Director, Growth Management Department, Martin County, FL