Donald E. Hunter Excellence in Economic Development Planning Award
The Economic Development Division is pleased to announce the Call for Nominations for the Donald E. Hunter Excellence in Economic Development Planning Award, named in honor of Don Hunter, a long-time planner and economic developer who contributed a great deal of his time and wisdom to the APA. This is a $1,000 award to a community that shows innovation and success with an economic development plan or project.
A formal presentation will take place at the Division's Business Meeting and Reception at the National Planning Conference on Monday, May 8, 2017. The Division will announce the winner in News & Views, the Division newsletter that is sent out to some 1,000 organizations throughout North America, as well as help prepare a press release for the winning community.
Eligibility and Submission Instructions
Persons submitting nominations must be members in good standing of the American Planning Association. Organizations submitting nominations must employ at least one member in good standing of the American Planning Association. Plans and projects submitted for consideration need not be limited to the United States.
There is no formal application form or fee. Please submit the following to the Awards Committee co-Chairs (see below) by March 24, 2017, with the subject line: "Application for Donald E. Hunter Award." The submission is limited to a single PDF file to include embedded links to videos, articles, and so forth. The maximum size for submission is 20MB (use DropBox or WeTransfer.com to submit if file is too large for email attachment).
If you have any questions related to the submission, contact Awards Committee co-Chairs Corey Proctor, Planning Director, Forrest County, Mississippi, or Patrick Cammack, Director of Economic Development, Williamson County, Tennessee.
Narrative Description of the Plan or Project
Description (up to 250 words) of the plan or project showing that the project fits the following definitions:
- Economic Development: The creation of new employment and wealth-generating activities through the mobilization of human, financial, physical, and natural resources.
- Economic Development Planning: A series of deliberate activities leading to initiatives that enhance the jurisdiction's economic opportunities and quality of life.
Nominee's Fulfillment of Award Criteria
For each of the following criteria, provide up to a 100-word description of the project. The entire attachment (all six criteria) should be no more than two pages or 500 words.
- Originality: Unique concept or appreciable refinement of existing techniques or procedures.
- Transferability: Potential application to other communities or projects.
- Quality: Excellence of thought, analysis, writing, graphics, and professional character of the presentation.
- Implementation & Results: Effectiveness of work proposals that have been carried out or show the promise of being carried out.
- Comprehensiveness: Submittal demonstrates a thorough and in-depth approach.
- Contribution to Community: Demonstrates application to community needs and desires.
|Schedule for Award Selection(s)|
|Application deadline||March 24, 2017|
|Review by Awards Committee||March 26-April 12, 2017|
|Notifications to applicants||April 17-19, 2017|
|Presentation of award(s)||May 8, 2017|