Thursday Breakfast (Keynote & Board Meeting): America's Systemic Housing Crisis: The Challenge for Planners
Thursday, October 5, 2017
7:30 a.m. - 10:10 a.m. MDT
CM | 1.50Add to My Log
RSVP for meals & receptions. Free for FULL conference and Thursday-Only registration.
Join us for breakfast, the APA Colorado Annual Board meeting, and our keynote speaker Alan Mallach. Learn about your Chapter and meet your elected Board. Get insights into affordable housing, mixed-income housing and the future of housing in our country from Alan Mallach, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institute and the Center for Community Progress. Leave with a vision of how you can become more involved with your chapter. Gain new insights and envision more housing options for all communities in our beautiful state.
America’s Systemic Housing Crisis: The Challenge for Planners
1. the nature of the systemic crisis affecting housing for low-income people in the United States
2. about the inter-related crises of urban neighborhood decline and homeownership erosion
3. The role of planners in addressing housing and neighborhood issues
- Overview of housing trends and costs in the United States, with particular reference to Colorado, and the wide variation between different housing markets across the country
- The systemic crisis of low income housing, its causes and effects
- The erosion of working-class communities, particularly urban neighborhoods
- The decline of home ownership and its implications for neighborhoods
- The effect of rapid appreciation in high-demand areas.
- The role of planners in integrating affordable housing issues into the planning process, and addressing the problem in their communities.
Alan Mallach, FAICP
Shelia Booth, email@example.com