Placemaking Through Stormwater Infrastructure & Economic Development
Thursday, September 14, 2017
9 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. CDT
CM | 1.50Add to My Log
The scale and frequency of flooding in the Chicago metropolitan region continues to increase, while funding for infrastructure improvements diminishes due to municipal, state, and federal budgetary constraints. At the forefront of addressing these issues are institutions such as the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago (MWRD), who are creatively partnering with municipalities and other entities to implement innovative small and large scale water quality, flood mitigation, and stormwater control solutions. The MWRD funded Village of Hillside project is a precedent that illustrates an innovative approach to integrating land planning and infrastructure improvements.
Participates will learn;
• Approaches to strengthen the local community resiliency and best practices for storm water management.
• How to establish “win-win” solutions for leveraging infrastructure improvements in combination with economic development projects.
• Re-development strategies for transitioning existing land uses to more productive uses to meet current community needs.
• Strategies for creating a holistic vision and integrated infrastructure and redevelopment plan.
• Implementation techniques and funding sources for getting the infrastructure project accomplished.
The panel will include representatives from MWRD, the SCB planning team, stormwater design experts from Erickson Engineering Associates, and input from the Village of Hillside’s municipal leadership who will provide an understanding of the different perspectives and opportunities in discovered in this private and public partnership. MWRD will provide an overview of their current initiatives in the region, on-going water management challenges, and case studies of exemplary projects. SCB will set the stage with a synopsis of the 70 acre Hillside-Roosevelt Road Redevelopment Plan, in combination with Erickson Engineering Associates’ insights into the proposed stormwater strategies for the site, and the Village’s vision for transforming a flood-prone-area into a new redevelopment to address their community housing goals. Initial presentations by the panelists will be followed by a question and answer session where planners can get feedback from MWRD and the planning team about how to implement innovative stormwater projects in their community.
Christine Carlyle, AICP
Adam Flickinger, AICP
Trevor Dick, email@example.com