Sunday, April 14, 2019, 2:45 p.m. - Sunday, April 14, 2019, 5:15 p.m. PDT
Activity Type: Deep Dive Sessions
Activity ID: NPC199002
- Learn about the role that planning practices and decisions play in shaping community health and equity.
- Identify at least three health and equity co-benefits of planning and understand the use of co-benefits.
- Learn about integrating health and equity into comprehensive plans.
MORE SESSION DETAILS
Planners are increasingly recognizing that plans and the planning process itself can have a tremendous impact on the health and equity of communities. This workshop will feature a range of interactive formats, such as a root-cause mapping exercise, peer learning exercises, and small group discussions, to build the capacity of local planners to integrate health and equity into their practice through the use of a Health in All Policies (HiAP) approach to planning. The participants will also hear from communities that have interwoven health and equity into their comprehensive or general plans and other planning processes.
In this session:
• Learn about the role that planning practices and decisions play in shaping community health and equity
• Explore the resources, tools, and frameworks that public health can bring to planning processes
• Hear examples of communities across the country that are integrating health and equity into local planning using different tools such as comprehensive plans
• Practice identifying health and equity co-benefits and using strategies to engage in cross-sector partnerships and build government efficiencies. Panel presenters include public health and planning practitioners and experts who have worked in a variety of capacities to address health and equity challenges facing our communities.
This course is approved to offer 2.5 LU|HSWs (AIA).
Ashley A. Hefner, AICP
City of Culver City Planning Division
Santa Monica, CA
Karen R. Nikolai
St. Paul, MN
Sagar Shah, PhD, AICP
American Planning Association
Rebecca L. Stonefield
Pinellas County Planning Dept
Meaghan Overton, AICP
City of Fort Collins Plng Dept
Fort Collins, CO
California Health in All Policies Task Force, Public Health Institute