Updating Your Coastal Management Element -- Nature-Based Tools for Flood Protection Workshop
Thursday, March 21, 2019
8 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. EDT
Pinellas Park, FL, United States
This one-day workshop will address innovative nature-based strategies to assist you in updating your Coastal Management Element and meeting the Florida Peril of Flood (POF) requirements with principles, strategies, and engineering solutions that reduce flood risk in coastal areas caused by high-tide events, storm surge, flash floods, stormwater runoff, and sea-level rise.
Benefits of Attending:
You will gain new information on how nature-based strategies can augment or replace conventional engineering approaches to storm surge mitigation and stormwater management and reduce flood risks.
This workshop will cover requirements, key principles and best practices to successful update the Coastal Management Element of your Comprehensive Plan.
Click to see the Final Agenda.
After this workshop, you will be able to:
- identify sites and conditions that are suitable for nature-based adaptation projects;
- evaluate use of open space and recreation lands to address anticipated changes in climate and sea-level rise;
- better understand risk reduction benefits and ecosystem services benefits;
- understand which nature-based tools to use for different projects;
- identify outdated language in plans, policies and processes that need to be updated;
- determine how to improve your Comp Plan to pass the Department of Economic Opportunity review.
- Thomas F. Ries, Environmental Science Associates
- Jerry Murphy, JD, AICP, CFM, University of Florida Resilient Communities Initiative,
- Damon Moore, Manatee County Parks & Natural Resources Department
- Laura Geselbracht, The Nature Conservancy
Who Should Attend:
Stormwater managers, environmental planners, community planners, coastal resource managers, floodplain managers
CLICK TO REGISTER. The first 15 people will receive the printed 2018 Florida Adaptation Planning Guidebook.
Professional Development: This workshop supports APA AICP Core Competencies (CMs applied for) and ASFPM CFM Body of Knowledge (CECs applied for.)
Sponsors: The workshop is supported by a grant from the Florida Resilient Coastlines Program, in the Florida Coastal Office of DEP with funding from NOAA’s Florida Coastal Management Program.
Questions: contact Heather Young firstname.lastname@example.org or CJ Reynolds email@example.com
Jason Utley, firstname.lastname@example.org