Designing for Pedestrian Safety-Day 2
Wednesday, December 7, 2016
8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. CST
Indianapolis, IN, United States
CM | 6Add to My Log
This comprehensive course is designed to help state and local officials learn "HOW TO" address pedestrian safety issues in the development of a pedestrian safety action plan, and specific programs and activities tailored to their community. It is also intended to assist agencies in the further enhancement of their existing pedestrian safety plan, programs, and activities, including involving partners and stakeholders, collecting and analyzing data and information, prioritizing issues and concerns, selecting and implementing an optimal combination of education, enforcement, engineering strategies. This course includes a 4-stage group exercise in the application of the principles, concepts, and strategies covered in the course. Also the participants will share and prioritize potential policies, programs, and strategies.
- Describe the role that planning and street design play in pedestrian safety.
- Demonstrate how pedestrians should be considered and provided for during the planning, design, work zone maintenance, and operations phases of the pedestrian safety action plan.
- Describe how human behavior issues related to pedestrians and drivers interacting safely and common pedestrian crash types.
- Identify good practices and effective solutions to enhance pedestrian safety and accessibility.
- Explain the significance of land-use, street connectivity, and site design in helping to make a safer pedestrian environment.
- Recognize human behavior issues related to pedestrians and drivers interacting safely and common pedestrian crash types.
- Collect and analyze data in a meaningful way to identify safety deficiencies and priorities for improvement.
- Employ commonly used and effective pedestrian crash countermeasures
- Effectively involve stakeholders to create publicly supported and trusted policies, programs, and projects.
Lauren Blackburn, AICP
Tish Mayfield, email@example.com