Planning Innovations Forums Forum # 3: Advancing PDA Implementation: Affordable Housing
Thursday, January 26, 2017
9:30 a.m. - noon CST
San Francisco, CA, United States
CM | 2Add to My Log
How does affordable and workforce housing become a reality in today’s challenging economic and political environment? What role can design and new policies play in overcoming barriers to providing new affordable housing?
This forum will highlight recent innovations in building design and policy. Bay Area architects, developers, and planners will provide strategies and lesson-learned about how design and new policies can help provide successful affordable and workforce housing.
-current obstacles to achieving affordable housing objectives and how members of the panel have overcome challenges such as restrictive zoning, neighborhood opposition, lack of incentives and lack of strong public-private cooperation.
- Successful strategies used throughout the Bay Area to implement affordable housing projects, such a context based design, modular construction and teacher housing.
- Affordability by design is planning and design that supports successful integration of affordable and workforce housing including accessibility to transit, architecture and urban design elements, use of materials, public spaces, art and internal circulation.
- Case studies of affordable and workforce housing throughout the Bay Area
- Lessons learned from built projects such as integration into their neighborhoods and surroundings, acceptance from the community, ability to make an impact on the lack of affordable options
- Interactive forum with panelists and audience members to ensure a lively session
Anticipated Outcome / Goal:
Learn about design and planning innovations that increase the feasibility of building affordable and workforce housing. Engage in thoughtful discussion about utilizing these strategies in Bay Area communities. Discuss new opportunities.
Amit Price Patel
Stefanie Heinz, firstname.lastname@example.org