Disaster Relief Through the Planning Foundation
We are continuing to solicit gifts to the Planning Foundation of APA that will be used exclusively to support the planning efforts undertaken by APA and our chapters in support of communities impacted by natural disasters.
- The Foundation supports the work of AICP Planning Assistance Teams deployed in disaster regions.
- The Foundation supports education and constituent building (long-term support-building) using schools as "centers of community," building a planning curriculum in schools, and special planning projects by community members and school children.
- The Foundation sponsored an audio conference called Disaster Recovery that focused on emergency permitting, visioning the next steps, rebuilding local businesses, historic preservation, and FEMA long-term recovery planning.
- The Foundation supports students who serve as interns in recovering and rebuilding efforts.
- The Foundation supports education efforts for planning commissioners and staff.
- Learn more about the work that the Planning Foundation supported in the Gulf Coast after Hurricane Katrina.
Image: A tree is cracked in half and uprooted after powerful wind and rain from Hurricane Sandy swirled through Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst October 29, 2012. Sandy caused power outages in base housing areas and unit facilities. (U.S. Air Force photo by Airman 1st Class Ryan Throneberry/Released)