Entry Level Planner
Detroit, MI United States
MKSK is a landscape architecture, urban design, and planning ﬁrm known for creative solutions addressing economic, social, environmental, historical, and cultural challenges within our cities. Our 90+ person team of Landscape Architects and Urban Planners work throughout the Great Lakes and Southeast Regions from 7 offices in 5 states.
MKSK’s niche is to craft public places and spaces to transform, inspire, and perform successfully. Our clients include cities, development organizations, higher ed, hospitals, transportation agencies, Fortune 500 corporations, and select developers. Our projects include planning and design for downtowns, river/waterfronts, neighborhoods, cultural and campus environments. Our Detroit office leads the firm’s transportation planning group that links transportation design with land use thru corridor plans, Complete Streets Design, transit plans, parking studies, and form-based codes.
We are seeking a talented Planner to help prepare projects in our small, but growing Detroit office. In particular, we are looking for someone with skills in mapping and graphics plus research and writing. This position involves drafting and editing reports and documents, preparation of plan maps, development of graphics and document layout, and preparation of presentation materials. Data collection is also part of the work including traffic counts, parking inventories, land use surveys, and occasionally intercept surveys of people on the street. Some surveys, meetings, and workshops occur on evenings and weekends.
MKSK has a fast-paced work environment with many simultaneous projects. Key traits for success is this position are an outgoing personality, enjoyment of working with small teams of professionals, strong writing skills, and an ability to work on many assignments at once.
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects and staff on project tasks and development of high-quality documents.
- Ability to collaborate in a team environment and effectively meet deadlines.
- Ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing.
- Proficiency in MS Office, including Word, Excel.
- Mapping proficiency in AutoCAD and ESRI ArcGIS software.
- Experience with Adobe products including InDesign and Illustrator Google Sketch-Up, and similar software is preferred.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree in urban planning, transportation engineering, urban design or landscape architecture.
- Some experience is preferred.
MKSK offers competitive salary and benefits and we emphasize workplace flexibility. We understand the need to balance work and life and offer flex hours to accommodate family responsibilities. Please apply by submitting a cover letter, resume, and portfolio to Brad Strader at firstname.lastname@example.org. For the entry-level position, college transcripts should be provided as well.