Mid-Level Urban/Transportation Planner
Detroit, MI United States
MKSK is a landscape architecture, urban design, and planning ﬁrm known for creative solutions addressing economic, social, environmental, historical, and cultural challenges within our cities. Our 90+ person team of Landscape Architects and Urban Planners work throughout the Great Lakes and Southeast Regions from 7 offices in 5 states.
MKSK’s niche is to craft public places and spaces to transform, inspire, and perform successfully. Our clients include cities, development organizations, higher ed, hospitals, transportation agencies, Fortune 500 corporations and select developers. Our projects include planning and design for downtowns, river/waterfronts, neighborhoods, cultural and campus environments. Our Detroit office leads the firm’s transportation planning group that links transportation design with land use thru corridor plans, Complete Streets Design, transit plans, parking studies, and form-based codes.
We are seeking a talented, articulate, mid-level professional Urban Planner to help prepare and manage projects in our small, but growing Detroit office. In particular, we are looking for someone with experience with our office’s current body of work including: redesign of streets, municipal public realm/street design manuals, transit master plans, parking management, school campus redesigns, downtown and comprehensive plans, brownfield and district redevelopment strategies, and form-based codes. Our clients include more than 20 Michigan communities, transportation agencies, redevelopment organizations, and a few select developers.
The position involves working as a team member on certain projects and as the Project Manager in others. Attendance at meetings and presentations, including some evenings and Saturday events, is required. Meetings are throughout Michigan’s lower peninsula with some travel to projects in other states.
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects and staff on project tasks and development of high-quality documents.
- Ability to collaborate in a team environment with staff from MKSK and other firms.
- Capability to work on many projects simultaneously to effectively meet deadlines.
- Skills in facilitation of meetings and workshops with community leaders, stakeholders and the public.
- Steller writing and communication skills.
- Experience in the types of projects listed above, especially multi-modal transportation and parking is desired.
- Projects require meeting established benchmarks for “billable” hours.
- Proficiency in MS Office, including Word, Excel.
- Familiarity with Adobe products including InDesign and Illustrator Google Sketch-Up, and similar software is preferred.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree in urban planning, transportation engineering, urban design or landscape architecture.
- 5-8 years of minimum experience. Ideally some experience with transportation planning and in the private sector.
- Certification with current license is strongly desired (i.e., AICP, CTP, PTP).
MKSK offers competitive salary and benefits and we emphasize workplace flexibility. We understand the need to balance work and life and offer flex hours to accommodate family responsibilities. Please apply by submitting a cover letter, resume, and portfolio to Brad Strader at firstname.lastname@example.org.