City of Goddard
Goddard, KS United States
The City of Goddard, Kansas (pop. 4,746) is presently accepting applications with professional resumes and references for the position of City Planner. The full position advertisement for this position is attached. Salary $47,840 – $71,760 (DOQ) with KPERS & health insurance benefits.
Goddard is a vibrant community, growing and accessible; the destination for a family oriented, active lifestyle. Goddard was named the fastest growing community in Kansas by the US Census Bureau and is poised for significant growth.
This position reports to the City Administrator and includes aspects of urban planning, economic development, marketing, code enforcement, and administrative leadership. The successful candidate will serve as staff representative to the City’s active planning commission. This position requires a bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning, Architecture, Public Administration, Marketing, or a related field. AICP or master’s degree preferred.
Completed City of Goddard Application Form for Employment downloadable from http://cp-stcity.civicplus.com/support/application.pdf along with professional resume and references may be submitted electronically to City Clerk Teri Laymon at email@example.com. Applications accepted until position filled. City of Goddard is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Reports to: City Administrator
Classification: Exempt, Full-Time
Education, Training, and Experience
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Urban Planning, Architecture, Public Administration, Marketing, or a related field. AICP or master’s degree preferred.
The City Planner performs technical and administrative work interpreting and enforcing Planning and Zoning Ordinances and related land use and development ordinances. The position requires thorough knowledge of the philosophies, principles, practices and techniques of planning/zoning as they pertain to findings and planning/zoning activities. The position requires thorough knowledge of the various codes and regulations pertaining to land use and planning/zoning.
The position requires the ability to present the results of field inspections and research effectively in oral and written form. The position requires the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with developers, government officials, representatives of other agencies and the public. The position requires the ability to interpret and apply legal requirements and standards, excellent interpersonal skills, especially listening and patience, and working with difficult people.
This position requires independent judgment, initiative, attention to detail and strong commitment to excellent customer service. This position is a full time (minimum 40 hours per week) salaried position. The position reports to and serves under the direction of the City Administrator.
- Reviews planning/zoning permits for compliance with adopted codes and performs site inspections prior to approval of permits.
- Reviews applications for site-plans, plats, variances, conditional use permits, subdivisions and zoning changes; and prepares recommendations to the Planning Commission, City Council, and City Administrator.
- Coordinates assistance on planning and zoning issues with other City Departments or Boards and Commissions.
- Reviews building permits, including review of site plans for remodels, additions, garages, and other miscellaneous items, and liaisons with applicant and Sedgwick County MABCD.
- Initiates enforcement proceedings when code violations occur; prepares letters and/or contacts property owners by phone; prepares data for Municipal Court or City Council and testifies on ordinance and code violations when necessary.
- Serves as the Secretary to the Planning Commission, prepares agendas, staff reports and gives presentations.
- Answers general questions regarding legal descriptions, floodplain information, zoning, census, and general community information.
- Reviews development plans for local planning/zoning requirements with other staff members.
- Reviews and approve routine sign applications.
- Maintains all necessary records for day-to-day activities and permanent files.
- Assists in developing long-range strategic plans and ordinance updates.
- Attends Planning Commission meetings and prepares other information as requested by the City Administrator or Planning Commission.
- Assists the City with projects and proposals, including grant applications or environmental reviews.
- Serves on committees as assigned by the City Administrator
- Prepares a variety of correspondence, agendas, reports and updates.
- Prepares public hearing notices for local paper and prepares articles as directed.
- Acts as backup for front desk and phone coverage and assists other departmental staff as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned or as delegated.
Secondary functions may be assigned to the position by the City Administrator.
Other Position Requirements:
- Must possess and maintain Kansas Driver’s License
- Must be able to pass a Criminal Records Check
- Proficiency with current Microsoft Office Suite software applications, especially Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Outlook and Word
- Must be able to multitask while providing excellent customer service to internal and external customers