Land Use Planner
City of Cambridge
Cambridge, MA United States
The City of Cambridge’s Community Development Department (CDD) oversees the City's policy and physical planning, affordable housing, economic development, zoning and land use, urban design, development review, neighborhood and open space planning, transportation, and environmental sustainability planning. The Community Planning Division leads the City’s neighborhood and long-term planning efforts related to land use planning, urban design review, and park and open space planning.
Under the supervision of the Director of Community Planning, the Land Use Planner will provide project management to the Community Planning Division of the Cambridge Community Development Department. The Land Use Planner primarily will:
- Manage significant land use planning projects that include balancing and coordinating goals of diverse planning disciplines, with a strong component of public engagement and managing diverse stakeholder input.
- Lead and manage projects, set targets with timelines, and ensure that all participants are aware of expectations. Ensure that plans are data-driven, evidence-based and actionable within the City. Achieve consensus on projects that involve multiple disciplines and people with diverse opinions.
- Lead implementation of large planning studies, involving interdepartmental coordination and public reporting of progress towards plan goals.
- Prepare written reports and oral presentations for a range of audiences including City administration and community groups.
- Work in multidisciplinary teams including urban design, zoning, transportation, environmental sustainability, housing, and economic development planners to advance planning projects.
- Lead and participate in community meetings with neighborhood organizations, developers, and public officials; engage the community and other constituencies to solicit input and feedback.
- Engage the community in specific projects, including difficult to reach communities; facilitate dialogue and consensus-building among people with diverse interests.
- Perform related duties, as assigned
- Master’s degree in urban planning, architecture, or related field with minimum 5 years of experience in a municipal (or comparable) context managing planning studies involving multidisciplinary teams including outside consultant teams.
- Strong public engagement and consensus-building experience, especially involving stakeholders with diverse interests and opinions.
- Good judgment and excellent interpersonal skills in dealing with a diverse range of City employees, volunteer board/committee members, elected and appointed officials, and members of the public.
- Knowledge of city planning principles and broad range of issues including environmental sustainability, housing, transportation, economic development, zoning, open space and the public realm.
- Excellent project management and consultant management skills
- Comfortable working in a multidisciplinary team environment and in settings with extensive community participation.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills, both written and oral.
- Experience working with visible and controversial projects that require creativity, innovation, and attention to detail.
- Experience managing multiple demands and ability to prioritize workloads, multitask and meet deadlines while working in a fast-paced environment.
- Overall computer proficiency including general office applications (Microsoft Office suite) and advanced applications (e.g., Adobe Acrobat).
- Knowledge of the Cambridge community is helpful.
- AICP certification preferred.
RATE: $74,608- $99,054/ year + excellent municipal benefits package
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Submit both your resume and letter of interest via email to: email@example.com or to Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312.
Resumes and letters of interest requested by 12/03/18. Position will remain open until filled. We are an AA/EEO Employer.