TL Senior Planner, Access Transit
New Westminster, British Columbia Canada
The South Coast British Columbia Transportation Authority (TransLink) is one of Canada's most innovative transportation authorities, founded in 1999 to plan and manage transportation within Metro Vancouver. We've achieved success not only in improving the transportation network of the region but helping maintain the enviable lifestyle of residents and the viability of local businesses. TransLink and our family of companies (Coast Mountain Bus Company, B.C. Rapid Transit Company and Transit Police) are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers.
Provides senior transportation planning expertise and leadership to projects of medium/higher scope in support of a designated program related to transportation policy, forecasting, or infrastructure/service development in an integrated, multi-modal environment.
- Contributes senior transportation planning expertise to development of program/project strategies, plans, and tactics.
- Provides senior technical guidance, sharing the benefit of an advanced level of expertise with other planning professionals, while also providing leadership to designated projects.
- Develops advanced transportation planning, methods, techniques, and models in support of designated project deliverables, ensuring compliance with department standards, policies and procedures.
- Contributes as a member of a program team, providing a senior level of transportation planning expertise, identifying and recommending action on planning and project risks and opportunities, based on analysis of transport data, trends, and issues. Alerts Manager to critical issues.
- Collaborates with leaders and professionals across the organization, with a view to optimizing planning services and project outcomes.
- Carries out research on best practice and trends related to accessibility, and makes related recommendations.
- Develops and manages relationships with stakeholders to understand needs, keeping them informed and resolving issues. Provides senior technical support and advice to municipal/provincial working teams and advisory committees.
- Oversees contractors and consultants, providing work direction and monitoring contract compliance.
- Provides technical guidance to other planning professionals, including involvement in development and performance management.
Education and Experience:
The competencies for this position are acquired through a Master's degree in Planning, Engineering or a related discipline, plus four (4) years' experience providing an advanced level of expertise and leading projects in an agency specializing in planning or transportation,
- Advanced knowledge of the principles, theories, concepts, and practices of transportation planning
- Sound knowledge of plans, products, roles, and responsibilities of government agencies, NGOs and associations.
- Sound Leadership skills to provide a senior level of technical guidance and expertise to other transportation planning professionals and to lead projects.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills to identify and assess impact of transportation planning and project-related risks and opportunities in an integrated, multi-disciplinary environment.
- Strong oral and written communication skills to develop and deliver reports and presentations.
- Strong Interpersonal skills to build trust by consulting with others and applying a team approach and negotiation skills as they pertain to contracts.
- Sound decision-making skills to make recommendations/resolve transportation planning and project-related issues, and conflict resolution skills to mitigate and minimize project risks and issues.
Work Schedule: 37.5 hours per week
An applicant will be required to demonstrate their suitability for this position by meeting the minimum level of qualifications and experience in order to be invited into the selection process. A standard interview format will be used including general, scenario and behavioural descriptive interview questions.
TransLink is committed to employment equity.
How to Apply
Please go to http://www.translink.ca/careers to apply for this position and view instructions on the process.
INSTRUCTIONS: Please save your (1) cover letter, and your (2) resume as one pdf document prior to uploading your application online.
Please note that only those shortlisted will be contacted.
Having trouble applying? Please view the System Requirements & FAQ's by going to http://www.translink.ca/careers.