New Orleans, LA United States
Asakura Robinson is seeking an Urban Planner to join us in our New Orleans office. We are seeking a talented professional with a master's degree in Urban Planning or Design or a related field who is newly graduated or has under five years of experience as an urban planner. Candidates shall demonstrate a high level of technical, research, communication and design skill and experience participating in communities, working with multidisciplinary design or research teams and be driven in their work and desire for advancement.The candidate need not have a specific specialty, and will participate in a variety of projects including community development, economic development, transportation planning, small area planning, housing, urban design and urban ecology throughout Texas, Minnesota, Louisiana, and nationally. A successful candidate will develop a specialty and personal professional development goals in collaboration with their manager. The candidate will work closely with our planning team in Austin, Houston, Minneapolis, and New Orleans, and a successful candidate will be able to balance individual work with team based feedback and collaboration. A strong interest and belief in public engagement and desire to work closely with communities to achieve their vision is a necessity.
Fluency in Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite and GIS is required for all candidates. Proficiency with Rhino, SketchUp or AutoCAD is beneficial. Great visual storytelling is highly desirable. Successful candidates must be fluent in English — written and spoken. Fluency in additional languages, especially Spanish and Vietnamese, is highly desirable. In addition to technical proficiency, participation in community groups and nonprofits is expected and the candidate should be comfortable serving as an ambassador of the firm in the community.
- Recent graduate with a master's degree in urban planning, and/or design and/or less than two years of experience in urban planning (experience with Landscape Architecture or Architecture is a bonus, but not required)
- Experience working with communities and in public forums
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Strong visual communication skills and graphic talent
- Knowledge of GIS, Adobe Creative Suite and SketchUp. AutoCAD and Rhino are preferred, but not required
- Understanding of urban planning and design principles and theory associated with project design and execution
- Ability to work well under pressure with tight deadlines and a sense of humor
- Ability to work with data and strong analytical and writing skills are also desired
Please indicate New Orleans Urban Planner in your email subject line and send resume, letter of interest, list of references, and one PDF of portfolio/project examples (7MB maximum) to Zakcq@AsakuraRobinson.com.