Land Use Planner
Kiowa, CO United States
Elbert County is seeking a mid-level experienced land use planner interested in supporting the vision and goals of this fast growing rural area in Colorado located between Denver and Colorado Springs. This is a four day a week, full time position with benefits. Visit our Employment Opportunities website for full job posting and online application: www.elbertcounty-co.gov
Summary of Duties: Performs technical review of land use applications, prepares and presents staff reports to the Planning Commission and may present to the Board of County Commissioners (BOCC), provides customer service to citizens, landowners and developers; provides periodic review of applications, regulations and offers support to the Director in all areas of planning.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides information regarding planning and zoning questions;
- Provides assistance and consultation from pre-application design through implementation facilitating timely completion;
- Evaluates and processes land use applications and plans for completeness and conformity to County land use regulations;
- Writes and presents staff findings with staff recommendations to the Planning Commission and Board of County Commissioners at public meetings;
- Provides periodic review of County planning, zoning and subdivision regulations and makes appropriate recommendations regarding amendments;
Education, Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in Urban and Regional Planning or closely related field and three years of experience in land use planning, or a Master's degree in Urban and Regional Planning or a closely related field and two years of experience in land use planning.
Any combination of experience that will provide the required knowledge, ability and certification will qualify.
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification is desired.
- Knowledge of federal, state and local laws pertaining to a wide variety of planning topics;
- Knowledge of the theory, principles and techniques of the planning profession and development process including residential, commercial, industrial and mixed-use developments;
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret county and state land use regulations, studies, reports, land development plans/plats, technical procedures, governmental regulations, architectural, building, construction and site plans;
- Ability to research, prepare and analyze technical reports, including the ability to collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions;
- Ability to understand and manage sensitive or controversial political situations;
- Ability to exercise sound and independent judgement within policy guidelines;
- Ability to work individually or in a team environment;
- Ability to consider a situation from many competing points of view;
- Ability to establish and maintain positive community relations and interact effectively with citizens, staff, BOCC, Planning Commission, various officials and organizations;
- Ability to prioritize and perform a variety of tasks while providing superior client service;
- Good written and oral communication skills, including writing, editing and preparing land-use documents, staff reports and presenting information at public meetings;
- Effective negotiation, problem solving and organizational skills with high attention to detail;
- Must have analytical and decision making skills and be able to clearly communicate them;
- Valid Colorado Driver's License with acceptable Motor Vehicle Record;
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check;
- This is a safety sensitive position that is subject to random drug testing.