City of Chandler
Chandler, AZ United States
The City of Chandler has an exceptional opportunity for a CITY PLANNER to work in a well-established and well-managed municipality within the Development Services Department. This is a regular full-time position with an excellent benefits package.
The City of Chandler is one of Arizona's first master-planned communities; it is located in the southeast part of the Phoenix metro area and has a current population of approximately 258,000; its population is estimated to be around 300,000 at its planned build-out.
The primary function of an employee in this class is to perform technical planning work involving the research, review, analysis, and coordination of use permit, variance, zoning clearance, zoning verification and annexation requests. This employee will assist in responding to zoning-related inquiries from City staff and the public. This employee may develop, update and distribute population statistics and demographic information, and assist with Census-related matters. This employee presents findings and recommendations to staff, senior planners, city planning commission, city council, and the public. An employee in this class may be assigned to related duties in the City's Development Services Department.
Essential Functions (non-exhaustive):
- Performs technical planning functions including research, review, analysis, presentation, and coordination of use permit, variance, zoning clearance, zoning verification and annexation requests. An experienced employee in this class may also review and coordinate rezoning and preliminary development plan requests;
- Reviews applications for compliance with city general plan, development policies, design codes;
- Performs administrative design review of existing architecture and site design;
- Coordinates application review process with affected parties, including applicant, property owner, planning staff, architects and engineers, city regulatory and review bodies and the public;
- Maintains current case files on each application as assigned;
- Prepares and presents written and oral reports to regulatory and hearing bodies, including planning staff findings and recommendations;
- Maintains planning documents, planning and development codes, and related regulations for research, documentation, and public access;
- Maintains land use and development data in GIS and uses GIS to analyze land uses and prepare maps, graphics, reports and related documents;
- Develops and maintains a statistical reporting system; population statistics and demographic information, compiles, analyzes and interprets data to define environmental conditions, social, economic and housing trends, community needs and zoning problems;
- Assists with Census related matters;
- Answers inquiries from and provides assistance to the public, by telephone and in person, regarding development and zoning projects and current city codes;
- Provides information and assistance to other planning staff members, including subordinates;
- Represents the City at public information and review meetings;
- Provides information and recommendations for amendments on short-term and long-range planning issues and proposed revisions to the city general plans and development codes and policies;
- Provides technical support and recommendations on neighborhood planning assignments including data gathering and community participation projects;
- Performs all work consistent City policies, procedures, vision and values; and
- Works in a safe manner and reports unsafe activity and conditions. Follows City-wide safety policy and practices and adheres to responsibilities concerning safety prevention, reporting, and monitoring as outlined in the City's Safety Handbook.
- Bachelor's Degree in Urban Planning, Public Administration, or a related field; and
- Three (3) years' experience in planning or a related field; or
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to perform the work.
- Municipal or public sector planning experience
In order to evaluate the fitness of prospective employees, the City of Chandler fingerprints all applicants selected for hire. The examination process may vary if determined necessary.
This position is a regular full-time position and is subject to a six (6) month probationary period. A register of qualified candidates will be active for four (4) months should another position become available.
The City of Chandler is committed to Equal Opportunity and Reasonable Accommodation.