East Bay Regional Park District
Oakland, CA United States
Application Deadline: 5:00 p.m. Friday, January 11, 2019
Please apply online at: www.ebparks.org/jobs
Under general supervision of the Principal Planner, the Senior Planner will conduct varied planning projects in current planning, environmental review or regional trails and will interface with outside agencies in order to advocate and protect District interests and to implement the planning goals and policies and capital improvement projects of the District's Master Plan.
Vacancy Situation: There is currently one (1) vacancy located at the Park District'sAdministrative Headquarters in Oakland, CA. The hiring pools established as a result of this recruitment will be used to fill the current vacancy and any additional vacancies that may occur during the one year life of the hiring pools.
Planning and Environmental Review
- Reviews assigned projects and develops project methods and procedures;
- Gathers, analyzes, and interprets data relating to local planning action referrals, general plans, specific plans, development proposals and environmental policy documents;
- Conducts site visits and field investigations as required;
- Conducts research on park resources using documents, surveys, plans and maps;
- Prepares comprehensive reports on assigned projects and recommends courses of action;
- Selects and monitors outside consultants in the preparation of technical reports;
- Prepares environmental impact documents and land use plans;
- Provide follow-up coordination in the design and construction phase of land use plans;
- Prepares cost estimates for capital projects within the plan;
- Independently evaluates the environmental impacts of capital and maintenance projects;
- Monitors the implementation of environmental mitigation measures;
- Presents District positions in written responses and at public hearings;
- Communicates on an ongoing basis with developers and public agencies;
- Negotiates, coordinates and secures development concessions in the form of public open space dedications, public access easements and environmental mitigation;
- Prepares long range plans, special reports and studies, correspondence, cost estimates, working maps and displays as required;
- Coordinates with resource regulatory agencies;
- Represents District interests and supports District objectives in a wide range of community, environmental and public forums;
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university, with major work in City or Regional Planning, Landscape Architecture, or similar field related to prospective duties; and
Experience: Three years experience in land use planning, including work with public agencies and experience with preparation and analysis of plans and environmental documents; or
An equivalent combination of education and experience.
- California planning and environmental laws, design principals and environmental evaluation procedures;
- Park and trail planning, design concepts and trail maintenance;
- Written and verbal communication skills to deliver public presentations, coordinate interagency and interdepartmental meetings, and facilitate discussions with key internal and external stakeholders.
- Computer technology (Internet, PowerPoint, digital imagery, word processing, and GIS);
- Project management and ability to meet deadlines.
- Supervise support staff on a project basis;
- Communicate graphically;
- Organize and create maps and presentation graphics;
- Establish and maintain positive and cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work at all levels, including a culturally diverse general public, with a focus on quality service to internal and external customers.
Tentative Examination Dates: Oral Panel Interview, January 2018