Associate Planner - Classification - 1308DCD
Kitsap County Department of Community Development (DCD)
Port Orchard, WA United States
KITSAP COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT (DCD)
Do you want to make a difference in your community? Do you want to work for an award winning organization? Kitsap County DCD has earned national awards for the permitting system, public disclosure request system, and risk check program. It has received two Governor's Awards for comprehensive planning efforts and is recognized for its natural resources program by federal and state agencies as the "go to organization" for Puget Sound restoration efforts. The department has very engaged employees dedicated to delivering effective and efficient services to the citizens of Kitsap County. Nearly all employees are Lean Six Sigma trained and have development plans that encourage career growth at all levels. Please learn more about the department at our website.
DCD is seeking an ASSOCIATE PLANNER to join our team.
The Associate Planner will serve in a support role to the Long-Range Planning group in the Planning and Environmental Programs Division. The position supports work and conducts research across functional areas of the planning process such as population growth, housing and employment targets, transportation and infrastructure, residential or commercial land use regulations, and community plans. The position will assist senior level planners to conduct land capacity analysis, develop land capacity data collection and reporting methods, assess current land capacity analysis methods, assess factors that restrict development investments in urban growth areas, and coordinate with other local governments on planning procedures.
The position may also support special projects, studies of regional and community development, growth management, preparation and updating of legislation and regulations applicable to growth management and land development.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR PERFORMANCE OF THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in planning or closely related field from a college or university accredited by an agency recognized by the US Department of Education with major coursework in aquatic biology, education, environmental or natural science or other closely related field, OR
- Four years of progressively responsible technical or professional work experience in the interpretation and enforcement of land use and/or natural resources programs, regulations and/or current and long-range planning or community programs, which includes program coordination/administration and public contact experience, OR
- Any equivalent combination of experience and education which provides the applicant with the desired skills, knowledge and ability required to perform the work.
Preferred Education, Experience or Other Qualifications
- Two years experience as a planner intern or equivalent experience.
- Experience or coursework in demography, population growth, housing, and employment analysis.
- Experience or coursework in GIS.
- Experience in intermediate to advanced statistical analysis.
- Experience with Washington State Growth Management Act, long range planning, and community planning.
CLOSING DATE: 01/18/1904:30 PM
For more information and/or to apply visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/kitsap