Instructional Design Manager
American Planning Association
Chicago, IL United States
General Position Description
The Instructional Design Manager is responsible for the design and development of a wide range of educational activities. Provides service to departments throughout the organization in supporting the development of live and on-demand education program/products. Identifies critical gaps in educational offerings and develops appropriate and effective learning interventions for reducing gaps.
Duties and responsibilities
- Project manage the development and implementation of new online and blended learning educational resources according to adult learning principles and best practices.
- Collaborate with volunteer subject matter experts, external vendors, and staff to design, develop and produce education content.
- Responsible for project management of content development including management of detailed work plans and status reports to ensure education programs/products are executed on time, delivered to high professional standards, and within budget/allocated resources.
- Research and make recommendations for innovative design and content delivery methods.
- Re-evaluate existing educational offerings and recommend improvements and expanded revenue streams that apply instructional design models to deliver impactful learning and practice-based outcomes.
- In coordination with the LMS Manager, apply a systematic product development process, work plan, production schedule, and QA plan to ensure consistency for all current and future online courses.
- A minimum of a B.A. in Instructional Design, Education, Instructional Systems Design, Communications, or related field and a minimum of two years of related work experience required.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills and the flexibility to handle multiple tasks and deadline pressures necessary.
- Experience developing customized online training solutions and utilizing authoring tool software required.
- Prior experience working with volunteer authors/subject matter experts desirable.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, databases required. Experience with learning management systems a plus.
- Ability to project a favorable and professional image of APA to members, vendors, staff, and the public required.