City of Killeen
Killeen, TX United States
To perform complex planning and research work. Work involves developing and updating local plans and ordinances to implement local, regional and/or state and federal policy and programs; developing procedures for implementing these plans or programs.
Employee has no supervisory responsibilities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Performs planning functions related to current and long-range comprehensive planning and municipal development, land use management, economic development, urban development, comprehensive growth, annexation, and special projects as assigned.
Collects, organizes and analyzes social economic, population demographic information and physical data required in the development of strategies, plans or programs.
- Prepares reports and writes position papers on plan or projects, land use cases, and subdivision plats.
- Participates in meetings with developers and assists in the evaluation of proposed projects.
- Assists in the preparation of agenda materials for the Planning and Zoning Commission and City Council.
- Attends Planning and Zoning Commission and City Council meetings to make presentations or to participate in discussions as needed.
- Consults and coordinates with other City departments, external agencies and civic groups in furthering interest and/or action regarding a plan, program or project.
- Prepares a variety of studies, reports and related information for decision-making purposes.
- Develops and writes ordinances and amendments for consideration by the governing body.
- Conducts research for and writes technical manuals, promotional literature, and other informational material regarding plans, programs and projects.
- Assist the City Planner in the coordination of Geographic Information System maps products.
- Responds to citizen inquiries concerning land use and development issues.
- Serves as a member of various staff committees, as assigned.
- Attends professional development workshops and conferences to keep abreast of trends and developments in the field on municipal planning.
- Adheres to assigned work schedule as outlined in the Department and City attendance policies and procedures; ensures all behaviors comply with the City’s Personnel Rules and Regulations; possesses and maintains a valid driver's license, if required, and comply with City of Killeen driving policy accordingly.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a degree in land use planning, urban planning, public administration or related field and:
- Three (3) years experience in planning or a related field. Master’s degree in land use planning, urban planning, public administration or related field may be substituted for one year of experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough understanding of zoning and land use development laws;
- Working knowledge of comprehensive plans, personal computers, and geographic information systems and relational database management structure;
- Skill in use of geographic information systems viewing software.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing, in the English language, with City Council, Planning and Zoning Commission, land developers and the general public.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships.
- Ability to maintain regular and punctual attendance.