Fall 2019 Planning Intern
Garment District Alliance
New York, NY United States
The Garment District Alliance is a not-for-profit corporation that was established in 1993 to improve the quality of life and economic vitality of Manhattan’s storied Garment District. Funded by the district’s 600 property owners and over 6,500 businesses, the GDA works in partnership with business, civic and government leaders to make the neighborhood clean and safe, and promote it as a strategic Midtown business location.
The GDA seeks a Planning and Streetscape Intern to assist in ongoing streetscape improvement projects and planning initiatives. A substantial portion of the intern’s time will be spent outside surveying the streetscape to collect data on a wide array of physical conditions and infrastructure elements within the BID’s boundaries. The collected data must be reported visually, so knowledge of ArcGIS and Adobe Illustrator is critical.
The Planning and Streetscape Intern may also occasionally be involved in planning and capital projects, economic development initiatives, marketing programs and business to business services, as well as special projects and events. In addition to developing your data collection, mapmaking, and visual communication skills, this is a great opportunity to learn about the workings of a Midtown Manhattan business improvement district and to make valuable contacts.
The successful candidate will be:
- Passionate about improving physical conditions in the urban environment.
- A graduate student in urban planning, geography, urban design, statistics, public administration, or related field. Undergraduate students, recent graduates or prospective students with the appropriate qualifications and experience may also be considered.
- Motivated, reliable, and highly organized, showing great attention to detail.
- Proficient in ArcGIS, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop and the MS Office Suite with strong layout, graphic design, digital file formatting, and visual presentation skills. Proficiency in SketchUp preferred. You may be asked to demonstrate your knowledge of ArcGIS and the Adobe Creative Suite prior to being hired.
- Professional and responsible with the ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of individuals, including but not limited to property owners, building superintendents, maintenance staff, and city officials.
- Willing to spend a significant portion of time outdoors, at any time of the year.
Schedule & Hours
At least 15 hours per week from late September through December. Occasionally you may be asked to assist with night or weekend events and programming.
$15 - $17 per hour
Deadline to Apply
Monday, September 9, 2019, 5 p.m. Interested applicants should send resume and letter of interest to Jonathan Hawkins at email@example.com with subject “Fall Internship.”