City of Albuquerque Planning Department
Albuquerque, NM United States
The City of Albuquerque's Planning Department is looking for 3 planners to join the Current, Mid Range, and Long Range Planning teams. Planners will be responsible for helping to evaluate current development proposals; manage or coordinate place-based projects and planning efforts with implementing departments and agencies in specific Community Planning Areas; and facilitate long-range planning in all Community Planning Areas. We are looking for urban planners committed to community engagement and cross-agency collaboration. Applicants should have some experience in community development, community engagement, governmental relations, and project management. Bilingual applicants are highly encouraged.
Interested applicants are encouraged to apply via the following website:
Perform professional and technical planning work involving the gathering, analysis and presentation of data in written, graphic or oral reports; organize and conduct meetings for community participation in planning and policy or economic development and provide highly responsible and complex staff assistance to higher level staff within assigned department.
Job descriptions are intended to present a general list of tasks/duties performed by employees within this job classification. Job Descriptions are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
Minimum Education, Experience And Additional Requirements
Education and experience directly related to the minimum requirements below may be interchangeable on a year for year basis.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in planning, engineering, economic development, public administration or business administration; and
Four (4) years of managerial planning experience.
Possession of a valid New Mexico Driver's License, or the ability to obtain by date of hire.
Possession of a City Operator's Permit (COP) within 6 months from date of hire.
- Modern and complex principles and practices of comprehensive and urban planning and/or economic policy and development
- Modern and complex principles and practices of economic development planning and policy development
- Modern and complex principles and practices of transportation planning and policy development
- Principles of negotiation and mediation
- Principles and theories of community based planning
- Principles and theories of economic development planning and practice
- Methods and techniques of research and data analysis and its application to urban planning
- Methods and techniques of research and data analysis and its application to economic development industry
- Operational characteristics, services and activities of a planning program
- Principles of business letter writing and basic report preparation
- Pertinent Federal, State and local laws, codes and regulations
- Pertinent Federal, State and local laws, codes and regulations related to transportation planning
- Project development and management
- ESRI GIS software and spatial analysis techniques
- Microsoft Office applications including Access, PowerPoint, Excel and Word
- Principles of contract compliance and performance evaluation
- Office methods, practices, procedures and equipment to include computer experience at an intermediate level
Preferred Skills & Abilities
- Prepare and produce community level plans
- Prepare and produce economic development plans
- Perform various research and data analysis duties and apply findings to urban planning projects
- Perform various research and data analysis duties and apply findings to economic development projects
- Perform various research and data analysis duties and apply findings to transportation planning projects
- Organize and conduct meetings of community-based partnerships
- Interpret and explain City planning policies and procedures
- Make sound recommendations for urban and community planning and/or economic development activities
- Make sound recommendations for urban and community economic development activities
- Make sound recommendations for planning and multi-modal initiatives
- Prepare clear and concise reports and presentations
- Deliver presentations to community and professional groups
- Communicate clearly and concisely
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work including a variety of City and other government officials, community groups, and the general public
- Perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation