Director of Planning and Community Development
City of Muskogee
Muskogee, OK United States
How to Apply
- Selects, orientates, trains, assigns, schedules, coaches, counsels and disciplines employees; communicates job expectations; plans, monitors, appraises and reviews job contributions; enforces policies and procedures.
- Supervises the activities and operation of the Planning Department, Inspections Division and Mapping Division and Code Enforcement Division to ensure adherence to quality standards, deadlines and proper procedures; corrects errors or problems.
- Develops, revises and administers local subdivision and zoning regulations, makes recommendations for regulation changes and conducts personal inspections of sites which have been proposed for rezoning and/or development.
- Works with other governmental and quasi-governmental agencies with regard to planning, zoning and implementation of pertinent state and federal regulations.
- Assists the City management in establishing priorities for preparation of community development grant applications.
- Assists in the administration of such grants, such as local share requirement and monitoring progress on the implementation of funded projects.
- Keeps informed of available funds and programs which can be utilized for City projects through contact with federal and state officials.
- Prepares staff reports, informational items and agenda items for Planning Commission, Public Works Committee, City Council, Board of Adjustment meetings and others as required.
- Evaluates, interprets and directs the enforcement of City building, zoning and nuisance codes.
- Develops and administers the Planning Department, Inspections Division and Mapping Division and Code Enforcement Division annual budgets.
- Researches and resolves customer complaints and answers inquires from the public.
- Serves as Chairman of the Subdivision Review Committee and other committees as assigned.
- Operates office equipment such as fax machines, copiers and phone systems and uses computer for spreadsheets, word processing, database management and other applications; learns to operate new office technologies as they are developed and implemented.
- Performs other work as necessary and or as assigned.
- Must report to work on a regular and timely basis.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position.
The Director of Planning and Community Development reports to the City Manager or a designee of the City Manager.
The Director of Planning and Community Development supervises all personnel in the Planning Department, Inspections and the Code Enforcement divisions.
Training and Experience: Graduation from a recognized college or university with a bachelor's degree in sociology, urban planning, public administration, urban affairs or closely-related field and seven (7) years' responsible experience involving grant administration and urban planning coordination with at least five (5) years' supervisory experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience in the planning, obtaining, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of federal and state programs is highly desirable.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills: Considerable knowledge of computers and electronic data processing; knowledge of modern office practices and procedures. Extensive knowledge of the principles and practices of urban planning, community and economic development research and program design and considerable knowledge of the federal grant processes and procedures. Ability to analyze the effect of governmental actions on the City of Muskogee's operations; ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing; ability to plan, direct and coordinate a large and diverse organizational unit of professionals, sub-professionals, technical personnel, community leaders, organizations and the general public; ability to utilize the highest level of interpersonal skill in order to understand, select, develop and motivate people at any level within or outside the organization. Ability to understand, interpret, explain and apply laws, regulations, ordinances and policies.
Physical Requirements: The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements. On a case-by-case basis, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, arm and hand steadiness and finger dexterity will be needed enough to use a keyboard and telephone. Occasional walking, standing, lifting and carrying of objects weighing up to ten (10) pounds, reaching, balancing, stooping, handling and climbing is required. Vision, speech and hearing sufficient to perform essential tasks. Punctuality and reasonable attendance is essential. Must submit to drug screening and fitness to work physical exam.
Licenses and Certificates: Possession of a valid Oklahoma Class D driver's license is required.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT: Working environment is primarily indoors in an office setting; requires some travel to various City locations to conduct field studies.
Notice: This classification is a "safety sensitive" position as defined by the United States Department of Transportation drug and alcohol testing regulations, the Oklahoma Standards for Workplace Drug and Alcohol Testing Act and/or the Oklahoma Medical Marijuana laws. As a "safety sensitive" classification the employee will be subject to drug and alcohol testing including random testing. Marijuana is one of the substances included in the drug panel screening. Possession of a medical marijuana license will not excuse the employee from the testing process or the consequences of testing positive for marijuana.
STARTING PAY: $41.51/hr. - $60.09/hr. Excellent employee benefits (insurance, vacation leave, sick leave, retirement, holidays).
WORK HOURS: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
WORK LOCATION: City of Muskogee Planning and Community Development Department, 229 West Okmulgee Avenue, Muskogee, Oklahoma.
RESUMES MAY BE SUBMITTED BUT WE REQUIRE OUR EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION BE COMPLETED ALONG WITH THE APPLICATION. We can also fax, email or mail one to you or you can pick one up from the City of Muskogee Human Resources Department at 229 West Okmulgee Avenue (the three story red brick building (Muskogee Municipal Building) at the southeast corner of 3rd Street and Okmulgee Avenue). The Human Resources Department is located on the First Floor, Room 102. Applications can be returned to the same address or by mail: City of Muskogee, Human Resources Department, P. O. Box 1927, Muskogee, OK 74402-1927; by fax: 918-684-6223; or by email: email@example.com. If you should have any questions, please call the Human Resources Department at 918-684-6221 or inquire in person at the address above or fax or email (above).