Director, Planning and Development
Ascension Parish Government
Gonzales, LA United States
How to Apply
The Director of Planning and Development is responsible for administering the activities of current and advanced planning for Ascension Parish, serves as a staff advisor to the Ascension Parish Council, the Planning and Zoning Commission, and the Board of Adjustment. Also responsible for implementing all aspects associated with land use planning and development projects, serves as the public face of the Planning Department, and is a key member of the strategic management team of Ascension Parish. This position requires a confident, self-disciplined, forward-thinking person who can develop and maintain relationships that may be used to facilitate high-quality development in a rapidly growing community. The Director of Planning and Development is tasked with leading a department in a rapidly changing environment, which mandates a clear focus on timely, thorough, and error-free results. This position is responsible for overseeing all functions of the department including, but not limited to, comprehensive planning efforts, facilitating new developments, and preserving the history of the community. This position works independently, but is reviewed and directed by the Director of Planning and Facilities Management Division.
- Responsible for the supervisory and managerial functions of department personnel
- Oversees the work of the Zoning Official, Planner, and Engineering Review Agency
- Reviews all proposed zoning and subdivision amendments and issue recommendations to the Planning and Zoning Commission and the Parish Council
- Administers provisions of the planning and zoning ordinance and supervises the review of preliminary revisions and the granting of final approval for plans
- Directs the recommendation of governmental measure affecting land use, public utilities, community facilities, housing, and transportation to control and guide community development
- Initiates and directs the compilation and interpretation of information on physical, social, economic, and cultural conditions and trends as they relate to the future development of the parish
- Directs the review and evaluation of environmental impact reports and drainage impact study reports applying to private and public planning projects and programs
- Reviews preliminary budgets and adjust items for conformance to anticipated needs
- Attends meetings to present activity reports and plans for future activities
- Requisitions equipment, materials, and supplies
- Authorizes and approves departmental expenditures
- Serves as point of contact for all issues and as a liaison with external regulatory agencies
- Any other duties as assigned
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
- Education and Experience: Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Urban Planning, Public Administration, or a similar field and (10) years of directly related experience, (5) of which demonstrates experience in a progressively responsible management/supervisory position preferably in a City/Parish
**Directly Related Experience: Experience in land development, transportation design, community and commercial development, zoning, land-use planning, applied economics, policy analysis. Knowledge of applicable laws and regulations is preferred. Geographic Information System (GIS) experience is preferred.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS – CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification is desired, but not required.
- The incumbent is required to have a current, and the ability to maintain, Louisiana state driver's license.
- The incumbent is subject to an initial and random drug testing.
ASCENSION PARISH GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEE BENEFITS PROGRAM
- Health Insurance Benefits eligibility after 60 days of employment (optional supplemental with AFLAC)
- Group Medical, Dental, Vision & Life Insurance for employees and families
- 75% of Benefits Package is paid for by Ascension Parish Government
- $125 monthly APG contribution to Health Savings Account for every enrolled employee
- Parochial Employee Retirement System 457B Plan (optional supplemental retirement plan with Nationwide)
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Background Investigation
- Drug and Alcohol Screen
- Pre-Employment Physical