A popular and practical guide on how to be an effective planning commissioner. Filled with checklists and outlines, it's both a good introduction and a handy reference. Includes a training checklist for new commissioners, criteria for keeping a master plan in working order, lists of tools to guide growth, advice on how to deal with professional staff, and do's and don'ts for conduct...
About the Authors
Table of Contents
1. What are these amateurs doing in government?
2. Understanding the language of planning and zoning
3. A layperson's guide to the planning process and the tools that make it work
4. Prerequisites to doing an effective job
5. Intramural coordinating or the art of not passing the buck
6. Public meetings and public relations
7. Due process or how to be fair
8. Nuts and bolts: zoning and development review
9. Doing a good job on small-town and rural commissions