All e-book sales are final. No e-book refunds will be issued.
Originally published in 2002 — e-book version released in 2013.
This book is recommended reading for planners preparing to take the AICP exam.
In this book, Michael Brooks bridges the gap between theory and practice. He describes an original approach — Feedback Strategy — that builds on the strengths of pre...
About the Authors
Table of Contents
1. Planning practice and political power
Public planning • Planning and political power
2. Planning practice and planning theory
The uses of theory in planning • Is there a theory-practice gap? • Planning theory today
3. Running the gauntlet of planning critics
Planning is perilous • Planning is impossible • Planning is impotent • Planning is malevolent • Planning is unconstitutional • Planning is ...alive and well
4. Rationales for public planning
The search for planning's bedrock • The public interest:real or illulsory? • Conclusions
5. The critical role of values and ethics
Values • Ethics • Conclusions
6. Centralized rationality:The planners as applied scientist
The nature of rationality • Rationality based planning strategies • The latest contender:Strategic planning • Current status of the rationality concept
7. Centralized nonrationality:The planner confronts politics
Simon says "satisfice" • Incrementalism • Current status of incrementalism
8. Decentralized rationality:The planner as political activist
Advocacy planning • Current status of advocacy planning
9. Decentralized nonrationality:the planner as communicator
Postmodernism • Planning as communicative action
10. Setting the stage:Ideas, feedback, goals and trail balloons
Where do planning ideas come from? • The critical role of feedback • Formulating workable goals:easier said than done • The benefits of creative trail ballooning
11. The feedback strategy of public planning
Planning as social experimentation • The habits of effective planners • The feedback strategy • How the feedback strategy relates to other paradigms • Potential shortcomings of the feedback strategy
12. The politically savvy planner
The nature of political savvy • The elements of political savvy
The importantance of vision • How to be a visionary and keep your job