Code of Ethics Update
AICP's Superpower: The AICP Code of Ethics
The AICP Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct guides and inspires ethical decision-making and protects AICP-certified planners when faced with controversial or difficult choices. To reflect our needs as professionals in the evolving planning environment, the Code is being updated.
The following priorities were identified and incorporated into the Draft by a Task Force based on feedback from Chapters, Divisions, and members regarding the clarity, efficacy, and relevance of the current Ethics Code:
- Expand and reorganize the Principles to Which We Aspire (Section A) into logical groupings to highlight the planners' role in serving the public interest and to:
- more fully account for the planners' role in social justice and racial equity, while accepting our responsibility to eliminate historic patterns of inequity tied to planning decisions;
- recognize and respect the rights of others and not discriminate against or harass others; and
- increase opportunities for members of underrepresented groups to become professional planners.
- Reorganize the Rules of Conduct (Section B) into logical groupings to increase clarity for compliance and:
- eliminate geographic inconsistencies on who or how Rules of Conduct are enforced;
- clarify types of additional employment that would create an actual or perceived conflict of interest; and
- require an AICP member to cooperate with the AICP Ethics Officer or AICP Ethics Committee if it is determined that they have information relevant to a charge filed against another AICP member.
- Reduce the use of frivolous complaints by an aggrieved member of the public against an AICP member by allowing only AICP members the option to file an appeal of a determination by the Ethics Officer related to a complaint of misconduct.
Ethics Update Town Hall
June 9 | 1-2 p.m. ET
Thanks to all who attended the AICP Code of Ethics Update Town Hall. A recording of the town hall meeting is now available:
Please refer to this timeline for more information about next steps and how your feedback will be incorporated in the update process.
Drafts for Member Comment
APA and AICP members are invited to review the Draft documents and provide comments via email at EthicsUpdate@planning.org through June 30, 2021.
We have provided hyperlinks, below, to the Draft and to two supporting documents.
The Draft is a clean version, with footnotes on the source of the principles in the existing Code, plus a side column in Section B: Our Rules of Conduct, indicating the relative position of each rule as it had appeared in the existing Code.
The second document is a "blueline" that shows "track changes" from the existing Section B, C, D, and E. It does not, however show "track changes" from the existing Section A: Principles to Which We Aspire, because both the reorganization and rewording of the principles makes the "track changes" illegible.
Instead, for those interested, the third document is provided as a "crosswalk" summarizing the existing principles and where they would be relocated in the current draft.