Hazards Planning Center
Planning Information Exchange
With a new award agreement granted by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the successful Planning Information Exchange (PIE) webinar series has been extended for two additional years, starting October 1, 2016. APA will continue to act as the lead in an agreement with FEMA, and ASFPM as a partner. The quarterly webinars will continue to revolve around four central themes:
- The information exchange focuses on all hazards.
- The information exchange focuses primarily on mitigation planning but also its connections with recovery planning and preparedness.
- APA and ASFPM act as co-conveners of all planning exchange webinars. This means that both organizations will use their respective web-based meeting platforms to set up, register, drive, facilitate, record, and provide technical support for all webinar meetings.
- Planning exchange hosts select topics and commit to moderate, present, and lead the planning exchange webinars.
Flood Hazard Mitigation in Historic Districts
January 31, 2018
CM | 1.0
You will be prompted to enter your name and email address on the page, then click "Register" to view the free webinar recording.
Historic communities and districts face a number of challenges when attempting to mitigate flood hazards. The 13th webinar in the PIE series features a presentation on flood hazard mitigation in historic districts by Louisette Leonard Scott, AICP, CFM, director of planning and development for the City of Mandeville, Louisiana. Shannon Burke, manager of APA’s Hazards Planning Center, will moderate.
Scott will discuss:
- Keeping the historic context of your community intact while reducing risk through hazard mitigation
- Embracing mitigation to protect historic properties
- Local issues faced by planners when dealing with design standards and flood hazard areas
- The various problems faced by homeowners associations when dealing with long-term flood hazards
Louisette Scott, AICP, CFM
- Planning Integration for Resilience Scorecard (October 4, 2017) CM | 1.5
- Naturally Resilient Communities (May 30, 2017) CM | 1.5
- Post-Disaster Temporary Housing: Urban Planning Considerations (March 23, 2017) CM | 1.0
- Subdivision Design and Flood Hazard Areas (December 2, 2016) CM | 1.0
- State Resiliency Initiatives: From Issue to Action! (September 22, 2016) CM | 1.0
- Combining Climate Adaptation and Hazard Mitigation Plans (July 7, 2016) CM | 1.0
- Know Your Dam Risk! (May 6, 2016) CM | 1.5
- Adapting Urban Vacant Land to Mitigate Hazards (February 26, 2016) CM | 1.0
- Hazard Mitigation Implementation (December 10, 2015) CM | 1.0
- Hazards Planning and Resilience: The Elected Official's Perspective (October 19, 2015)
- Climate Change Adaptation & Resilience (June 30, 2015) CM | 1.0
- The Role of Hazard Mitigation in Post-Disaster Recovery (May 6, 2015)