Welcome to the Nebraska Chapter of the American Planning Association. The Nebraska Chapter of the American Planning Association (APA Nebraska) is a professional organization representing practicing planners, government officials, and citizens involved with urban, regional, and rural planning issues within the State of Nebraska, APA Nebraska strives to be your source for Nebraska planning information, networking, news and professional development opportunities.
The Chapter strives to advance professional planning throughout all of Nebraska by sponsoring activities including conferences, chapter meetings, professional development assistance, scholarships and more.
If you live or work in Nebraska, your membership with the American Planning Association also promotes Chapter membership. Chapter members provide support for the state organization through payment of minimal annual dues.
Mission and Goals
To better the communities of Nebraska by:
- Increasing awareness of planning and its impact upon people and their environments;
- Training community leaders to utilize the planning process;
- Assisting the growth of solid planning principles.
- To increase the planning expertise of professional planners
- To increase planning expertise of planning officials and citizen planners
- To support planning students and planning education programs in Nebraska
- To increase the impact and visibility of planning in Nebraska communities including cities, villages and counties
- To increase the involvement of planners in Nebraska Chapter activities
- To cooperate with affiliated groups and professions (eg. AIA, Nebraska GIS/LIS, NPZA, Nebraska Lied Mainstreet and similar groups) to educate members of those groups about planning and planning related activities
- To maintain and enhance the relationship between the APA Board, AICP Commission, CPC, Divisions and other national entities of APA
Stay current in the Planning field
Membership allows you to receive, notices of up-coming conferences and special mailings produced by the Chapter. The Chapter will keep you at the top of your game with state-of-the art knowledge in planning. Advance your professional expertise through local and state planning workshops and events, the annual state and national planning conferences, and AICP certification and Advanced Specialty Certification.
Make a difference at the Capitol
Unite with other planners in one powerful voice introducing and influencing legislation to shape planning in Nebraska. Our members have been very effective in bringing APA Nebraska's planning expertise to the Capitol, and our legislative agenda and planning principles to law.
Network with other planners
You're not in this alone. Other planners across the state and in your local area share the same planning issues as you. Don't reinvent the wheel. Find out how others are dealing with your challenges. Make new friends who share your interest in planning. Employers are looking for smart APA members at APA conferences, APA local events. Nebraska APA will keep you up to date using social media such as Twitter, Linked In and Facebook.
Find and keep the good jobs
Let your current employer know you take your job seriously. Prospective employers regularly attend APA conferences and events searching for sharp APA members to join their firms and agencies. Most consultant firms and numerous planning agencies prefer AICP qualified planners.
Join APA Nebraska
APA Nebraska currently has approximately 150 members including practicing planners, elected and appointed officials, academicians, citizens who care about planning and students. The Chapter is led by elected state board and section officers. Don't be left out. Join APA Nebraska now to get plugged in and to stay current in your profession. Know what's going on in planning in Nebraska, in your region, nationally and locally.