Emerging professionals include students, recent graduates, and those starting out in their planning careers. You are the future of planning and tomorrow's leaders.
APA does a lot to support you and other Emerging Professionals.
- Your state or regional chapter is the gateway for expanding your network and finding internships or jobs. If your chapter has a Young Planners Group, join up for opportunities for leadership, mentoring, and resume building.
- APA divisions are geographically diverse communities of professionals with shared interests based on areas of planning or population. Looking for a mentor? You might find a great one in your division.
- APA's Early Career Membership Program is a five-year opportunity for extra benefits at low cost. Be sure you're enrolled if you're eligible.
- Your completed MyAPA Profile will raise your visibility within the association and throughout the profession.
- APA's career website gathers many resources into one convenient location. Bookmark it!
- Jobs Online lists jobs and internships. It's an essential source for planning-job hunters.
- The APA/AICP Survey Salary will help you compare compensation in different sectors and states. It also has a members-only, built-in salary calculator.
- The National Planning Conference is the place to be for outstanding professional education and networking opportunities.
- Sign up for Mentor Match. Work with your mentor to prepare for professional, targeted conversations with potential employers during the conference. (Many chapters also offer Mentor Match at their annual conferences.)
- Network with exhibitors. Every year, more than 60 agencies and firms exhibit at our conference and many of them may have job or internship openings.
- Go to Employer Connection to interview for specific open positions.
- Attend sessions, workshops, and social events developed especially for Emerging Professionals.
- APA awards student scholarships every year, and many chapters and divisions offer scholarships, grants, competitions and fellowships to eligible students.
- There are more APA resources for Emerging Professionals. Check them out!